Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugs fouling, engine just not running right

1980 GS 850L with 15k miles

I've got this bike and I've been struggling with it since I got it. I replaced the coils with Katana coils. This still doesn't seem to have fixed my problem with the engine not running. When I pulled the plugs, the 1st and 4th plugs are almost straight black.

Just a dumb question while I'm at it. If I'm standing facing the front of the bike, the cylinder on my left should be cylinder #1 correct?

Also, is there anyone on here that lives anywhere near the Idaho Falls area? I would love a garage/riding buddy.

Thanks all! :-D

Originally posted by freki View Post
    1980 GS 850L with 15k miles

I've got this bike and I've been struggling with it since I got it. I replaced the coils with Katana coils. This still doesn't seem to have fixed my problem with the engine not running. When I pulled the plugs, the 1st and 4th plugs are almost straight black.

Just a dumb question while I'm at it. If I'm standing facing the front of the bike, the cylinder on my left should be cylinder #1 correct?

Also, is there anyone on here that lives anywhere near the Idaho Falls area? I would love a garage/riding buddy.

Thanks all! :-D
    Have you run a compression test on it yet? Adjusted the valves? Gone through the carbs? Why different coils? Where are you at on this project? 8-[

NOPE...the cylinder on the right (in this particular case) is the #1 hole.

(sit on bike...put left hand down at side...tis the #1)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      Have you run a compression test on it yet? Adjusted the valves? Gone through the carbs? Why different coils? Where are you at on this project? 8-[

NOPE...the cylinder on the right (in this particular case) is the #1 hole.

(sit on bike...put left hand down at side...tis the #1)
      Well that probably explains why the bike isn't running right in the first place

I did the redneck compression test earlier (finger in spark plug hole) and all had good compression. The carbs are rebuilt about a year ago. I haven't adjusted the valves, just waiting for a head gasket to come in. The original coils didn't produce spark which is why I replaced them. At the moment I have the gas tank and air box off and am prettying up the engine and replacing the oem bolts.

Comment

When sitting on the bike, the outboard cylinder on your LEFT is #1. They number left to right 1 through 4. The 1 and 4 cylinders operate off of the left coil and the 2 and 3 cylinders run off the right coil (normally), so if you have black plugs on the 1 and 4 that is an ignition side. The problem could be carbs, but it is unlikely the 1 and 4 carbs would act up at the same time in the same way. Its most probably an ignition problem which could be one side of the crank trigger, one side of the ignitor or one coil that is at fault.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If you need an igniter I have one.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            If you need an igniter I have one.
            At the risk of sounding stupid....what's an igniter?

Comment

It's part of the ignition system. The crank trigger which is under the round crankcase cover on the right side of the bike, the igniter and the coils. Since new coils did not fix the problem maybe the igniter is bad.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X