stripped fork slider bolt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped fork slider bolt.

ok so I stipped the fork slider bolt on my 78 750....now what????? I got the other side off and now that i know what the bold looks like I feel pretty confident if I have to drill it out. My question is how hard is it going to be to find a new bolt?

Also on the fork that i did split. The manual simply says pry out old seal. It says nothing about what to do to a seal that has been in one place since 1978. Any tricks are welcomed with open arms.

Thanks for your time.

You have to order a new bolt from Suzuki -- it's a special fine thread. Only about $2 or $3. Get two, and replace the copper sealing washers while yer at it. Check with your nearest dealer. They should be able to get them in less than a week. If they won't talk to you unless you're in debt on a new bike, order them from BikeBandit. http://bikebandit.com

I've always just used a regular old seal puller to pry the old ganky seals out. Make double-sure you pad the area where the seal puller rests against the fork leg with a folded up cloth.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

As far as the seals go....

__ __ I used some pliers that looked like that (close together and have a 90 degree
      // \\ cutting edge on them) to get in there and cut the old seal in half and then
      || || pried it out with a regular needle nose.

EDIT: I cant get my graphic to look right, Hopefully you get the idea... just add some spaces in there so everything lines up.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2008, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Make sure you get the clip out first,before prying the seal out

Comment

ok so i ordered two new bolts and gaskets today:-D
          now onto trying to get the stripped bolt out:? any suggestions that might not involve a drill...

Comment

Working...
          X