Float height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float height

Ok, I've read the manual and the posts on this subject but it still isn't clear, maybe someone needs to draw me a picture because I'm not sure where to measure to on the float. Is it to the flat metal part on the float or to the stepped area below the metal part?
    '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
    '03 DR650
    sigpic

At the stepdown past the metal hinge to the gasket surface. Without gasket of course. With gasket subtract 1mm from the total.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Have you ever had the chance to visit url=http://www.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/]BassCliff's little website[/url]? Do so. Bookmark it. Make it a "Favorite", whatever it takes, but use it.

Near the bottom of the left column is this link labelled Carb Specs-Float Height-Jetting. Yeah, it gives you specs for an 850, but the procedure is the same for your 750.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Heh -- I forgot about this image I annotated a while back:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

float height

I,ve got two suzuki manuels a french and an english one.They both have pictures showing the float height being measured at the hightest step on the float.The manuels are for a gs1100 82,83,84.I'm not sure, but i think all model floats are measured the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Have you ever had the chance to visit BassCliff's little website? Do so. Bookmark it. Make it a "Favorite", whatever it takes, but use it.

Near the bottom of the left column is this link labelled Carb Specs-Float Height-Jetting. Yeah, it gives you specs for an 850, but the procedure is the same for your 750.

Fixed the link Steve.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm the bone head that confused poor 7th day.

Quoted the standard 24mm for VM float height only to learn the early 750 is different - no step on the float. Do what the manual says.

EDIT: This snip is for the EARLY 750 with VM carbs, not the later CV type. One mistake on top of another.
              Last edited by Nessism; 05-06-2008, 07:56 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you all for the clarification. Steve, thanks for the link to BikeCliffs website.

Tim
                '03 DR650
                sigpic

Comment

float height

I've mixed him up to.I just checked a manuel for the 16 valve1100 models,80to 83 and they have a picture that shows the measurment being taken on the lowest step of the float.So do as nessim says and go to the carb section of your manuel and you will find the picture that shows how to measure yours.Hope you get it sorted out.

Comment

I have a Clymer manual and the picture is so poor that you can't tell where they are measuring to.
                    '03 DR650
                    sigpic

Comment

Not to throw a wrench in the works here, but I have always felt it is more accurate to adjust the floats so the proper gas level is achieved, and that all four carbs are the same that way. I have found that all the floats can be the same height but yet have differing fuel levels.

Greg O

Comment

Working...
                      X