air box boots ahhhgghh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air box boots ahhhgghh

Hi, hey I need some advice on how to get the air box on my 750 gsL 81 to fit back onto the carbs. The air box boots seem hard but can be made to bend with some stout pressure. I just can't seem to get them to line up in order to get them onto the carbs. Do they sell boots for the air box??? I'm trying to put the air box on with the carbs out of the bike, is this the correct way?? Thanks for any help.

They still make them
    See here
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Coincidence!

What a coincidence!! I ordered 4 of them this afternoon.8-[ (part number 13881-49021)
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I understand that you can soften them by soaking in waterproofing spray (for tents) from REI or similar...

Not tried it though
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

another option

soft pliable boots are a must
          but if you still have difficulties you may consider installing the boots on the carbs first and then pulling the boots in the airbox openings from the backside (inside of the airbox)
          i find it easier that way
          GS850GT

Comment

My boots must have been replaced at some stage as they were quite pliable.

I installed my carbs first and lightly clamped them into the engine boots, then slid the air box in behind them (carefully so as not to disturb the alignment of the rubber breather section mounted on the rear of the air box.. as it needs to be a good seal). There ain't much clearance but sufficient to move it around as the carb inlets are slid in one at a time.. starting from one side and working along. Use a small amount of silicone spray (applied with a finger rather than sprayed) to lube the sleeves.. makes it a darn sight easier.

Re the boots. I understand that putting them into a sealed plastic bag along with a good dose of sprayed silicone for a few days will soften them up. But it is undoubtedly better to replace them with new.

Have you replaced the O rings between the engine and the boot base plates which mount to the engine? Apparently they don't age well and flatten to the point they let air in (not at all good for smooth running)

Good luck
            Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2008, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks to all for the infor. Its is appreciated.

Comment

air box boots ahhhgghh

Try brake fluid it softnes hard rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by shack426 View Post
                  Hi, hey I need some advice on how to get the air box on my 750 gsL 81 to fit back onto the carbs. The air box boots seem hard but can be made to bend with some stout pressure. I just can't seem to get them to line up in order to get them onto the carbs. Do they sell boots for the air box??? I'm trying to put the air box on with the carbs out of the bike, is this the correct way?? Thanks for any help.
                  Spray a little Armor All on the inside of the boot lips. This will help them slide on easier.

Also, I use a wire coat hanger about 14" long, with a 90 degree bend at both ends. wedge the angled end of the coat hangar between the boot, and the carb spigot flange and work the coat hanger around the carb flange while pushing your airbox foreward. This is a big help in getting the boots started over the carb flanges. It's an aggravating PIA until you learn how to do it, but once you master the art of GS carb "coat hangery" then grasshopper, you will then be at one with yourself....

Comment

Working...
                  X