Which Rings To Use - Which Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Rings To Use - Which Option

I am in a bit of a dilemma and need some advice. For those of you that are following my project of installing a 650 top end on my early 550 you will understand where I am coming from. I have purchased a set of cylinders and pistons from a 650. The pistons are a good fit in the bores and are fitted with the original rings. I can only find 2 sets of new piston rings for the 650 pistons and have purchased them. If another 2 sets do not come up on EBAY soon I am going to have to make a choice between installing the new rings on two pistons only and leaving the worn rings on the other two pistons. Or going with the used rings on all four pistons. If I go with the used rings in all cylinders do I have the bores honed or do I leave them smooth. Or does anyone out there have 2 sets of standard piston rings for a GS650 motor.

I wouldn't put just two sets of rings in an engine... I have heard of people lightly sanding used rings and honing the cylinders and getting a relatively good seal... have you checked bikebandit for the rings? I would think you could still get them new somewhere, and rings aren't that expensive. Bikebandit has a set for my 78 1000 engine for $32.00, no, it's not cheap, but it's not bad.

Comment

by set, he means per piston. i would just buy OEM. 80 bucks for 190 psi compression. i would do it.

Comment

You could get custom forged JE pistons ands gapless rings here http://www.racetep.com/totalsealframe.html

Comment

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with re-using the old rings, provided they are still within spec. The manual provides specs for the rings such as end gaps and side gaps. As long as they're not worn beyond spec, they'd probably be okay.
          Now would I do it?, Nope I'd hold out until I was able to get new rings.

Comment

Originally posted by onchiman View Post
            I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with re-using the old rings, provided they are still within spec. The manual provides specs for the rings such as end gaps and side gaps. As long as they're not worn beyond spec, they'd probably be okay.
            Now would I do it?, Nope I'd hold out until I was able to get new rings.
            And if you do, hone it first.
            Why not bore it out and use 750 pistons?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Save the two new sets for later!! You can reuse if the end gaps are ok, install in tyhe same cyl as they were removed from if possible

Comment

Alpha Sports shows an updated # 12140-34240
                GS650E std rings $31.82

Comment

If your old rings are in spec - free end gap and closed gap when in halfway down the bore you'll be fine.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I will hand out for the other 2 sets of rings. But if I were to use the old rings would I need to hone the bore?
                    Thanks again.

Comment

rings

Anytime you get the motor apart, take the extra 1 or 2 days and extra 25-50 dollars to put your jugs in peak condition. Believe me, I know the temptation of getting things back together as quickly and cheaply as possible. A newly honed bore and a set of fresh rings filed and fitted to the MEASURED cylinders will provide a lasting compression for years to come. Ride on!

Comment

Working...
                      X