VOLTAGE GUAGE FOR GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOLTAGE GUAGE FOR GS850G

I would like to wire up a voltage guage that I can mount in my fairing so that I can monitor my charging system on my 1980 GS850GT. I can't seem to find any small voltage quages that fit the bill. Auto Zone and NAPA carry large ones that are meant for cars but are too large for my use. Has anyone ever done this before to monitor your battery level while you are driving? If so how did it work out? What guage did you use?

Thanks,
    Terry

I really don't know much about the 850's fairing, but on my 'GK, I used a regular volt guage that most cars used, installed into the fairing cover on the left hand side. the only smaller guage than that, that may fit your needs is available as a 3-guage mini set-up. It is available at some autostores and through JEGS, SUMMIT, and other mail-order places. I spliced into one of the wires in my fairing, and is pretty accurate. you would just have to use the mini volt guage, chuck the other two(I beleive the other two are pressure and water temp), and either find a place to bore a hole out or fabricate a bracket for it. Hope that helps.... :twisted:

Comment

Comment

The JEGS part number is 105-2391, can be seen at www.jegs.com, put the part number under the search area and you get a good pic of it. :twisted:

Comment

go to radio shack, charge indicater is 5 bucks http://www.650motorcycles.com/BillMurrin.html

Comment

I've had a VDO voltmeter for years, they also have a handy oil temp gauge.
            Try www.egauges.com

bill

Comment

Thanks guys! I have ordered a voltage guage and will put it on asap. I'll post how it works.
              Terry

SLOW DOWN---ENJOY THE RIDE---LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO BE A BURDEN ON YOUR CHILDREN!

Comment

I finally did get a voltage guage from Custom Dynamics and it works great! It has red yellow and green LED's that constantly show your battery's charge when the key is turned on. I spliced mine into a line that is hot when the key is on and onto a common ground wire and then mounted it on my fairing where I can see it when I'm riding. I originally spliced it into the headlight line and had to move that wire to another line because the guage won't show your true charge on the headlight line. It always shows lower than your actual charge when spliced into the headlight line. However, it work fine now and I recommend it to anyone who worries about getting stranded because of a low charge.

Thanks,
                Terry

Comment

Been a while since I had been to that site. My wife would like you to know that you are a bad man for posting the link. I was sitting here drooling over the new stuff that will fit the Valk.

Comment

Sorry for posting the link! However, I'm sure that your wife wants you to be as safe as possible on the road and Custom Dynamics has some great products that will help any rider. Maybe you can convince your wife to convince my wife that I need a Garmin Moving Map GPS on my GS850G! If you can do that then I'm sure I can convince your wife that you need something off the Custom Dynamics site!

Wouldn't a GPS unit just look great on this bike?

Terry

Comment

What is it with GUYS not asking for directions????

Comment

Working...
                      X