Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150E, strange rattle

Hi guys!

My katana (GSX1100SZ) with a GS1150E motor has developed a strange loud rattle.

I link it to a situation where I did a semi-hard acceleration making the clutch slip and motor roar. Now I have a loud rattle under these conditions:
    • Starting from a stop - the moment where the engine has to work hard. This goes for all gears. Torque=rattle.
    • When letting of the gas and letting the motor run/slow down the bike.
    • Pulling the clutch lever at any speed result in a short rattle
    • Idle

I opened up the clutch and found this (pic). Fitting a new hub unfortunately did'nt solve the problem. I'll have a look at springs on the other clutch basket tomorrow.

What do you think? Does this sound like a clutch rattle or something more critical?

I really hope you can help

Heres the patient btw :-D

Nice Bike

Bet it is fast.

Speaking of clutches 8-[ If you don't already have one of these you probably need one. It is amazing how much noise a loose clutch can make and still be driveable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...221701665&rd=1

APE "GORILLA" CLUTCH HUB ASSEMBLIES

The strongest modified clutch hub assemblies available. Consisting of our heavy duty clutch hub kits installed on customer supplied clutch hub. We must have a good clutch basket / gear assembly from the customer.
    GHS1100Suzuki GS1100/GS1150$299.00

Good Luck, I think you solved one problem with that inner hub but you still have another possibily with the outer hub. :shock:

Posplayr

Comment

Hi Posplayr

Thanks a lot for the links. I'll have a look at the second basket to see whether I should get me one of those

No other ideas? The techincal QA of this site is stuffed with questions about engine noises. I was really hoping to hear from some rattle-experts here [-o<

Stud

Comment

Check this out:
        http://www.katana1135.dk/rattle.wmv (3,6MB)

Did I find my "sound"? I'm actually not sure. It does sound a lot like it, but I find it hard to believe that this litlle bearing can make the dB's I am hearing with the bike running.

Is it correct that I have to split the engine to change this bearing (if necessary at all?)

Stud

Comment

Stud

I'm not a rattle expert, but it might help if you could do a video and post it to youtube. That would help narrow the problem down.

On my GS1100ED the P.O. had reinstalled the clutch basket after swapping out clutch disks and put back one of the thrust washers in the wrong place. The nut would not cinch down and the clutch rattled.

I heard another youtube video where the owner had a really bad rattle and it was a loose clutch nut; they tend to loosen that is the reason to replace with the APE clutch nut (see previous links).
          Also one of the established Achilles heels of the GS1100/GS1150's is the clutch backing plate which those modified Gorilla Hubs fix.

If I were you I would pull it all out to similar to what you see in the video. You will also likely here a recommendation to "sync" your carbs to help the clutch rattle. Out of sync carbs also aggravates the noise.

Lets hear how bad it is. Maybe you can raise RapidRay or some other long timers. I've only been at this since last Dec.

Posplayr

Comment

Cause of rattle identified. It was a loose roll(?) inside the starter clutch making the noise. The roll is now jammed preventing the starter clutch to disengage. After having removed the gear between the starter clutch and starter motor to get home from a gas station, the rattle is now gone \\/

Haven't had a chance to confirm my theory yet, but I can't see any other explanantion. Will have a closer look tomorrow

Thanks a lot for all your ideas and advice!

Stud

Comment

Working...
            X