Swingarm irregularity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm irregularity?

So I'm painting the swingarm from my 83 GS850 GL and have it stripped down to bare metal. I spray on the first of many coats and notice this deformity(?) spot(?) sumpthin'...Before I invest another minute or peso on this piece, could someone share their wisdom about it's being there ie; is it a result of a po drop, or is it factory fashioned. Thanks.

Looks like someone took a ball-peen hammer and gave it a wack. Weird. I wouldn't think that's factory. Anyone know for sure?

As long as its not interfering with the drive shaft I can't see it being an issue.

Any other ideas?

Cheers all.
    Spyug

Comment

swingarm

I have looked at some swingarms for sale on fleabay and from their pictures, the spot seems to be an UH-OH. I am only concerned about this damage because I have read in the Forum regarding "high speed weave" coming from the rear end (swingarm bushings, tire out of track,ect) and wondering if my weave might be indeed a result of damage to this swingarm. Yea, 25 bucks is not a lot to put out to MAYBE correct a dangerous harmonic imbalance, but I got it painted up so nice! Any thoughts?

Comment

I just looked at my wife's '82 850L and saw the same thing.

It is there to provide clearance for some welds on the frame just above the swingarm pivot bearing.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

It is there to provide clearance for some welds on the frame just above the swingarm pivot bearing.

yep it is a factory clearance ding. they even show it on the parts diagrams.

the high speed weave is primarily a chain drive issue as it is really easy to get the rear wheel out of alignment with the front on a chain drive bike.
          a shaft drive GS rear wheel is fixed and the swing arm bearings are extremely robust large tapered roller bearings, not dinky weak little needle bearings.

at least Suzuki didn't screw up like honda and use plastic bushings!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

yea, not to worry :-D
            GS850GT

Comment

Yep good ol japanese engineers using american ingenuity to fix a clearance problem.

Comment

Swingarm

Whew--I am so glad there is such a wealth of knowledge out there. Now I can spend that money on, say...coils! Really, thanks Forum readers. I am diving back into the project now...

Comment

You don't have a chain to align, you need to make sure the swingarm is centered in the frame using the bearing adjusters

Comment

Working...
                  X