Setting timing points gap 79 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting timing points gap 79 GS750

Hi guys my manual says to set the point end gap to .0018 at the widest opening. Is that the correct setting. The reason I ask is because I have been reading other posts for hours and others are setting them tighter than .0018 on late 70's GS750.

Is .0018 the correct setting?

Also anyone have a solid link on setting timing without a timing light. I have been reading many posts but can't find complete directions. I do have a 76 GS750 manual but it uses testing equipment I don't have.

Thanks guys

Originally posted by br1amb View Post
    Hi guys my manual says to set the point end gap to .0018 at the widest opening. Is that the correct setting. The reason I ask is because I have been reading other posts for hours and others are setting them tighter than .0018 on late 70's GS750.

Is .0018 the correct setting?

Also anyone have a solid link on setting timing without a timing light. I have been reading many posts but can't find complete directions. I do have a 76 GS750 manual but it uses testing equipment I don't have.

Thanks guys
    The points gap is 0.018" or 18 thousands of an inch. Not 0.0018" which is what you quoted. This reading is less than 2 thous. of an inch. Do not use a timing light. this is a 30 year old bike, not a car. Use some kind of continuity tester, like a multimeter to see when the points actually part. I still use a cigarette paper on my Norton to tell when the points start to separate, never had a problem. Read your manual, line up the marks through the peep hole in the ignition plate and all will be well. If you had your points set at 0.0018 that could well have been part of your problem.

Comment

Thanks, I am going to check the point gap right now.

Comment

Originally posted by br1amb View Post
        Thanks, I am going to check the point gap right now.
        Reply back if you need any more advice, my comments were quite brief.

Comment

Working...
        X