82' GS850G Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82' GS850G Oil Leak

I got oil comming out at spark plugs anyone have an idea what this may mean?

Is the valve cover gasket leaking oil down onto the spark plugs?

A RealGasket should pretty much take care of that as long as the valve cover isn't cracked or damaged:
    Real Gaskets Tennessee is a manufacturer of silicone rubber valve cover gaskets for aircraft engines, automobile engines, and motorcycle engines.

Make sure you count how many bolts are in your valve cover before you order -- if it's 16, get the 1979-81 version of the gasket. If it's 19, get the '82-'83 version. Some '82 examples used the earlier gasket.

Can you describe what you see in more detail, or post a decent photo?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Is the valve cover gasket leaking oil down onto the spark plugs?

A RealGasket should pretty much take care of that as long as the valve cover isn't cracked or damaged:
      Real Gaskets Tennessee is a manufacturer of silicone rubber valve cover gaskets for aircraft engines, automobile engines, and motorcycle engines.

Make sure you count how many bolts are in your valve cover before you order -- if it's 16, get the 1979-81 version of the gasket. If it's 19, get the '82-'83 version. Some '82 examples used the earlier gasket.

Can you describe what you see in more detail, or post a decent photo?
      Oil is comming out of holes on #3#4, I cleaned real good and ran saw it comming steight out of spark plug holes, Pic does does not show.

Comment

another possibility

the outer head nuts are also caps for the oilways
        they should have a copper washer underneath and be tightened to a specified torque

if you really have oil comming from the sparkplug holes, well, id like to see that!!! :shock:
        (well, maybe if there are no rings on the pistons - lol)
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          the outer head nuts are also caps for the oilways
          they should have a copper washer underneath and be tightened to a specified torque

if you really have oil comming from the sparkplug holes, well, id like to see that!!! :shock:
          (well, maybe if there are no rings on the pistons - lol)
          I will check pretty sure from sparkplug holes, if so maybe no rings left of pistons nothing suprises me with this used bike form a person who just did not luv it all kinds of riggs.

Comment

Originally posted by frankruz View Post
            I will check pretty sure from sparkplug holes, if so maybe no rings left of pistons nothing suprises me with this used bike form a person who just did not luv it all kinds of riggs.
            thanks guys I am tierd going to sleep, I well check in the morning.

Comment

It's really hard for someone on the internet to judge where something like an oil leak is coming from. Your best bet is to clean the engine really well and then start it up and watch closely to find the leak. Some people use foot powder spray to highlight the area with white powder, which makes the leak stand out.

As far as oil leaks from spark plug holes, it's basically not possible since there is no oil source. Only if your engine is burning a LOT of oil and smoking like crazy would there be enough oil to leak. Much more likely, oil is running down into the top of the head from the valve cover or you have a leak from one of the oil galley passages - from the head hold down stud(s) and copper washer.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                It's really hard for someone on the internet to judge where something like an oil leak is coming from. Your best bet is to clean the engine really well and then start it up and watch closely to find the leak. Some people use foot powder spray to highlight the area with white powder, which makes the leak stand out.

As far as oil leaks from spark plug holes, it's basically not possible since there is no oil source. Only if your engine is burning a LOT of oil and smoking like crazy would there be enough oil to leak. Much more likely, oil is running down into the top of the head from the valve cover or you have a leak from one of the oil galley passages - from the head hold down stud(s) and copper washer.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
                As you must of guessed by now I am not much of a mechanic, I am only doing my on work becuase of this site and money of course. I thank you, I will take a better look.

Comment

Working...
                X