1980 suzuki gs550L help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by awaselito View Post
    ok, checked the coils with the volt meter. the coil that fires, orange w /white stripe. reads 08.5 and the white wire on the same coil reads 00.1. then on the coil that don't fire or cylinder that don't fire, orange w/white stripe reads 08.5 and the black w/yellow stripe line reads 00.0 don't know what these numbers mean but their you go. would anyone happen to have a wiring diagram of the wiring for this bike?
    That is VERY low voltage at the coil. Perfect world would be 12.5, but you probably want at least over 11. That's why people do the "coil relay mod". In the course of passing through the wiring harness and the the kill switch you are losing the 12.5 from the battery until it's only 8.5 at the coil (assuming you tested with battery at full charge). I might be wrong, BUT the way I understand it, the white and the black with stripe are from the igniter. You have hot from the orange and white all the time, but it's not grounded, the other wires from the igniter alternate ground first one coil then the other to create the release of voltage. BAssCliff has a website (search should find it). He has a lot of manuals and wiring diagrams on there, might well have yours. Again, and this is from experience, do NOT discount the plug wires and caps, if when he replaced the coil he put on suppression wires with resistance caps, or didn't replace the caps, or screw the caps on good, or any number of other things it could cause a problem. If you only have 8.5 at the coil from a full battery, the first thing I'd do is the coil relay mod.

Comment

Hi Mr. awaselito,

There is a 550 manual on my website that you may download. Start with the troubleshooting section. There's a wiring diagram in there too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
        Also, you say he replaced the coil.... was it a stock or aftermarket... if it aftermarket, what kind of wires did he use... did he replace the plug caps, did he use suppression wires?
        not sure, the coil looks the same except for the new one has a little circle with a + on the orange wire ( hot ) and another circle with a - (neg).

as far as this question,,,,aftermarket, what kind of wires did he use... did he replace the plug caps, did he use suppression wires?,,, i'm not sure. would that affect with no spark to the plugs??

Comment

not sure, the coil looks the same except for the new one has a little circle with a + on the orange wire ( hot ) and another circle with a - (neg).

as far as this question,,,,aftermarket, what kind of wires did he use... did he replace the plug caps, did he use suppression wires?,,, i'm not sure. would that affect with no spark to the plugs??
          BassCliff linked his site above which is AWESOME, go look at it and download your manual. Yes, the wires could effect it. Mine wouldn't fire once because of a bad plug cap. I also saw one that wouldn't fire once because the wires had been replaced with suppression wires, and then had resistance caps put on them. This created too much resistance in the wire and made it not fire.

Comment

thank you very much, i am downloading it as we type and i will ask him about the wires, again, thank you very much guys, now i'm ganna go work on this thing and get back to you all. thanks. well, just wanted to show you guys what i have put together. its not a suzuki but its mine and i love rideing her.

1978 Kawasaki kz1000, long low and sexy.lol

Comment

Man I love KZ1000's and it's on my list of bikes I want. I was looking for one when I found a great deal on my current GS1000. I want to keep the GS1000 for my daily rider and build the KZ into a drag bike.

Comment

downloaded the file but didn't let me view it. i'm gonna try to doanload it on my other computer.

Comment

hi guys, just wanted to say that i downloaded the file but can't open it. i'm i doing something wrong? help please.

Comment

well, i traced the coil wires down to the cdi box, shame its sealed and i don't think it can be tested.....but i did see a two inch crack on the bottom of it. don't know if that could have cause the problem with the # 2-3 coil not giving any spark. don't know. anyone have one of these that would like to sell??

Comment

well, i traced the coil wires down to the cdi box, shame its sealed and i don't think it can be tested.....but i did see a two inch crack on the bottom of it. don't know if that could have cause the problem with the # 2-3 coil not giving any spark. don't know. anyone have one of these that would like to sell??
                      If you have the part number off the box send it to me. I have one off a 1000 but not sure if it will work or not.

Comment

hi guys, just wanted to say that i downloaded the file but can't open it. i'm i doing something wrong? help please.
                        Hi Mr. awaselito,

Are you referring to the 550 manual from my website? If so, you need two things, the Adobe PDF reader and the password for the file - iwillnotsell.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                          If you have the part number off the box send it to me. I have one off a 1000 but not sure if it will work or not.

hi, well, the lable rubbed off so i don't know the part #. but. hopfuly someone here would know if that would work on this bike. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                            Hi Mr. awaselito,

Are you referring to the 550 manual from my website? If so, you need two things, the Adobe PDF reader and the password for the file - iwillnotsell.

BassCliff
                            hi, well, i have downloaded the manual. thank you so much for the info. again, thanks.

Comment

anyone with a cdi box? hay doctorgonzo, how much for that box. if you want i can let you know the colors of the wires going in the box??? i do know their are 6 wires going in the box. let me know. thanks. anyone???

Comment

Working...
                              X