what is the best oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the best oil?

Does anyone have any information the what the best type of motor oil to use in a GS? I do not think it would make any difference but my bike is a 1983 GS750E.

Tons of different opinions on "best oil". The Search function will take you to lots of different threads on the topic. Unfortunately, some of the information in the various oil threads is suspect so take what you read with a grain of salt...unless it was posted by me of course.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

10w40 or 20w50 dino oil, depending upon your driving conditions.

You can spring for 5w40 or 15w40 synthetic if you like. It may quiet your valve train down a bit, but that's about all for the extra $10-$15 per gallon.

Change your oil every couple thousand miles or so, and you'll be ok as long as the oil you use doesn't have friction reducers in it.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

look for the little EPA energy conserving logo on the back of the bottle and don't buy that kind.

Comment

what would be the waight difference between 5w40 and 15w40 synthetic? Can you use either or one for cold weather and one for warm weather like regular motor oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Strat View Post
            what would be the waight difference between 5w40 and 15w40 synthetic? Can you use either or one for cold weather and one for warm weather like regular motor oil?
            Suzuki specifies 10w-40 right on the oil cap. If you have a manual, it gives other options that depend on ambient temperature, but 10w-40 will suffice for most of the temperatures in which you are likely to ride.
            The difference between the 5w and 15w is that the 5w is a little thinner when cold and will flow through small passages quicker and easier, maybe minimizing wear on a cold engine. By the time they warm up, they are both rated at 40w, so there is no difference there.

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            You can spring for 5w40 or 15w40 synthetic if you like. It may quiet your valve train down a bit, but that's about all for the extra $10-$15 per gallon.
            That depends on which synthetic oil or bike oil you get. Around here, car oils are just about $2 per quart. Using 4 for an oil change would be $8. If you use oil from the bike shop, they can be about $4 per quart, so make that $16 for the oil change. I use a synthetic oil that only costs me about $18 for the gallon. Yes, there are other synthetics that cost more, but this one has done quite well for me.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oil? Hmmmm, never heard of it.

But seriously, if you change it often enough it don't much matter what you use.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

This sounds like a fight-starter.... I stick to Dyno Oil of the GTX variety... but I seem to have a problem with breaking things, ofcourse that couldn't possibly be related to over-revving

Comment

if i wanted to spend 10 bucks a quart id go for royal purple synthetic motorcycle oil.

Comment

"WHAT TYPE OF OIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????"

BAN THE NEW POSTER !!!!!!

Actually if we did ban every oil question poster on GSR, there would be no members.

as for the question, I use whatever oil leaks out the slowest...... so I guess my answer is I use 6 cans of STP !

Actually oil questions remain pretty civil on this site. If you wanna hear 100 whiney, arrogant , know-it-all bitche$, ask the same question in the Harley forums...
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X