Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

starting a bike without a starter motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strat View Post
    WOW! This is some good information! I did not know I had this many parts available to order. Thank you BassCliff!
    It won't last forever, though we wish it would, but except for tanks, frames, and a few misc parts here and there, you could build one of these bikes from new parts (though it would cost you 15K).

Comment

Originally posted by Strat View Post
      This bike has sat in a garage for 5 years and has bad seals and wireing problems... That is why I asked, I have stated mopeds in this way and have seen it done on 2 stroke dirt bikes but never on a motorcycle in this kind of shape. BTW does anyone happen to have a starter motor that may fit a 83 GS750E? I would gladly pay 60 bucks plus Shiping and handeling...
      So what makes you believe the starter is bad? Is it physically missing?

You will have to make sure the engine spins freely by taking out all the spark plugs first. You will have to drain and flush out the tank and carb bowls first. And you have to buy a new fully charged battery for the ignition too - even without a starter you need a fully charge battery.

If the engine is warm I can pop the clutch in first gear at a very slow roll and it will fire right off. Under 50F cold with full choke is an iffy thing at best without a steep hill.

Comment

My 750 starts first kick as well TCK. I love the kickstarter.

To answer the original question, I agree with most of the responses here, fix the carbs etc and get a good battery / starter motor and it should start.

In the early 1900's a lot of motorcycles were built without kickstarters or starter motors. They were either pedal start (moped style) or push start.
        All modern MotoGP bikes are push start. No starter motor = less weight.

Comment

Is their a place I can buy a kick starter/starter motor that will work together? I think it would be cool to know I have a back up this is after all a 25 year old bike...

Comment

Strat,

You are the kickstarter, when the starter motor arrives, work in unison together. No need for a kick starter, if you have two legs that work. I prefer full choke neutral to 2nd when bump starting especially if the clutch has been sitting for 5 years.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

kickstarter and starter motor are on different sides of the bikes. the later model bikes without the kickstarters had a place in the crankcase for them, just no kickstarter. if you tried hard enough, im sure you could convert.

Comment

Working...
              X