Primed fuel lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primed fuel lines?

Do you need to prime the fuel lines if the tank has been off the bike for a while? How would I go about priming the fuel lines in my 1983 GS750E. Only one of the fuel lines has an in line filter on it? I am guessing it needs two

Unless your bike is different than my 1000G, one of those lines is vacuum. It's what operates the petcock, and that's what the "PRI" setting on the petcock is for.

Comment

You should have two lines going between the carbs and the petcock, one is larger than the other. Hopefully, that larger line is the one with the filter. To prime the lines and the float bowls, move the petcock lever to the back, so it points to PRI. Wait about 30-60 seconds, or about the amount of time it takes to put on your helmet. Now you should be able to apply choke and start the bike. Be sure to move the petcock lever back to the RUN position so that it will shut off when you stop the engine. In the course of normal operation, the petcock is left in the RUN position until you have had enough fun riding and need to move it to RES.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What they said, and lose the inline filter. It's completely unnecessary. They are fitted by PO's who can't be bothered to fix the stock system.

Comment

Lot of disagreement on fuel filters. I run one because I don't have one in the tank. My replacement petcock had the right bolt spacing, but the filter tower was just too wide for the slot into the tank, so I just pulled it off. Course that means I have no Reserve either, but I didn't feel like shipping it back and waiting for replacement, and paying the shipping again, etc...

Comment

My petcock has a filter on it, I guess I can loose the inline one. put it on my lawn mower that does not have one...

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
              Lot of disagreement on fuel filters. I run one because I don't have one in the tank. My replacement petcock had the right bolt spacing, but the filter tower was just too wide for the slot into the tank, so I just pulled it off. Course that means I have no Reserve either, but I didn't feel like shipping it back and waiting for replacement, and paying the shipping again, etc...
              And you'll be cursing the day you pulled off the tower the very day you run out of gas

Comment

Working...
              X