Directional tires .. backwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directional tires .. backwards

What would the effect be to mount a directional front tire (in this case a CS Hi-Max) the wrong way ?

I dropped off my front rim at a local shop for a tire change, and when I picked it up they had the directional tire on backwards ..

I took it back already and they have fixed it, but I wonder what would the result be if I had not noticed the error ?

[quote=mriddle;815793]What would the effect be to mount a directional front tire (in this case a CS Hi-Max) the wrong way ?

I dropped off my front rim at a local shop for a tire change, and when I picked it up they had the directional tire on backwards ..

I took it back already and they have fixed it, but I wonder what would the result be if I had not noticed the error ?[/quote

Look at your tread pattern and you will see.

Comment

I think only part of the effect has to do with tread pattern and water dispersion.
      Interestingly enough, the front tire on the Hi-Max seems to channel the water into the center of the tire, instead of pushing it to the sides. :shock:

The rest of the effect has to do with the way the plies are overlapped in the carcass. They are designed so that the primary loads will tend to smooth out the overlap. If you mount it backward, the forces will try to peel it apart.

For the riders of other types of bikes, it is somewhat common to fit a rear tire to the front of a trike or sidecar rig, but it will be turned around, because the primary force on the front tire is braking, while the primary force on the rear tire is accelleration.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bad

It has to do with the tread pattern and the way the belts are lapped. It wouldn't be the 'end of the world' to ride it that way but it sure shows that they're incompetent and it makes you wonder what else they did (or could do) that would endanger your life.

I had it happen to me a couple of years ago and I consider it an unforgivable mistake; they had someone who either didn't care or was stupid working on my bike....and I've never been back...(except to have them remount it).
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
          It has to do with the tread pattern and the way the belts are lapped. It wouldn't be the 'end of the world' to ride it that way but it sure shows that they're incompetent and it makes you wonder what else they did (or could do) that would endanger your life.

I had it happen to me a couple of years ago and I consider it an unforgivable mistake; they had someone who either didn't care or was stupid working on my bike....and I've never been back...(except to have them remount it).
          No doubt....................
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

[QUOTE=Steve;815803]

Interestingly enough, the front tire on the Hi-Max seems to channel the water into the center of the tire, instead of pushing it to the sides. :shock:

QUOTE]

Picture how it would move water when you are way over in a turn, then it makes sense.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This is how my tire was mounted ..

The guy at the shop said that he noted the orientation of this tire and put the new one on the same way.

I don't have this one anymore, does it look right or backwards to you ?

I have seen it both ways in pics on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Picture how it would move water when you are way over in a turn, then it makes sense.
                That might make a bit of sense, except for one little detail...

If it's raining hard enough that the tires are channeling water, I won't be leaned that far over. :shock:

Last edited by Steve; 05-10-2008, 01:37 AM. Reason: To be, or not to be...yeah, I left it out.
                sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  That might make a bit of sense, except for one little detail...

If it's raining hard enough that the tires are channeling water, I won't leaned that far over. :shock:

But if you were that far over, channeling water would be very important.
                  And some guys lean pretty far in the rain. Like me.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nah, I get my thrills without the extreme lean angles even in the dry, and am a downright chicken when cornering in the rain. I have done all-day rides in the rain just to get somewhere (usually home), but either the roads will be straighter (freeways) or the speeds will be slower.

At least with me going slower, it will be easier for you to pass me. 8-[
                    sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                      This is how my tire was mounted ..

The guy at the shop said that he noted the orientation of this tire and put the new one on the same way.

I don't have this one anymore, does it look right or backwards to you ?

I have seen it both ways in pics on this site.
                      LOOKS backwards to me
                      what matters though is the mark on the tire that tells you the direction
                      GS850GT

Comment

I think that I have determined that it was mounted correctly (the old tire) and "Timmy" chose that response to divert responsibility for what he had done. Anyhow, they reversed it for no charge and did the rear for my while I waited.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                          what matters though is the mark on the tire that tells you the direction
                          Ding ding ding!! Absolutely.

Comment

I know that with cars friends of my who compete in drifing get directional tires mounted backwards. they say its the way they grip correctly when filled they loose traction. i don't know the validity of this because enthusiasts are crazy if they think something will make a difference it does. i say go safe and follow the manufacturer. Its their design

Comment

Working...
                            X