GS850L Valve Adjustment Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850L Valve Adjustment Questions

Okay, I am finally getting to the needed valve adjustment for my 1982 GS850L. I am following the directions found on BassCliff's website, and they have been right on.

I am ready to check clearances but am waiting on my friend who is coming later to help me with this part of the project. He has the tools, and I always like an extra brain to back me up. In the mean time here are a few gasket questions I have:

1. The old valve cover gasket is firmly "baked" on to the base. It did not come off with the cover. What is the best way to remove it without screwing anything up?

2. The ignition cover gasket needs replaced. Can I make my own, or should I order one. Same question for the breather cover but it looks like I'll have to order this one as it is a special type of gasket. Perhaps since I'll have to order the breather gasket, I should order the one for the ignition cover as well. Seems like a no brainer now that I think about it but I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks
    David Newvine
    82' GS850L
    This is a great bike!

Originally posted by newvined View Post

1. The old valve cover gasket is firmly "baked" on to the base. It did not come off with the cover. What is the best way to remove it without screwing anything up?
    If it didn't leak before, and it's not damaged at all try leaving it on. Maybe the PO used grease on one side to make the cover removeable, and you are the lucky beneficiary. Put some grease on it and re-use it.
    If it does need to be replaced, I like to use NAPA's gasket remover, like a spray can of paint remover, and a razor blade.

2. The ignition cover gasket needs replaced. Can I make my own, or should I order one. Same question for the breather cover but it looks like I'll have to order this one as it is a special type of gasket. Perhaps since I'll have to order the breather gasket, I should order the one for the ignition cover as well. Seems like a no brainer now that I think about it but I welcome any suggestions.

The ignition cover doesn't do much, no oil or anything, more of a dust cover. Usually the old ones are not stuck and can be reused forever. You can cut a gasket out of anything, cherios box, gasket paper, whatever.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You can try to reuse the valve cover gasket but it will most likely leak. Getting off the gasket is by far the hardest part of doing a valve adjust on a bike that has sat for a while.

The gasket remover does work but it will damage any paint it touches. If you choose to use this stuff, spray some in a cup and dab it on with a small paint brush or Q-tip. Small chunks of gasket material will fall everywhere. Try to keep it out of the engine. Razor blades help but don't nick the aluminum gasket surface or you may get leaks. Before buttoning up the engine use a flashlight to look at the valve pockets and get all the remaining chunks out. Fill the pockets back up with oil also before installing the valve cover.

For gaskets, the Real Gaskets are nice. After spending the better part of two hours chipping off the petrified gasket on my 850, spending a little more money on a silicone gasket that will never stick struck me as a bargain.

Good luck.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        If it didn't leak before, and it's not damaged at all try leaving it on. Maybe the PO used grease on one side to make the cover removeable, and you are the lucky beneficiary. Put some grease on it and re-use it.
        If it does need to be replaced, I like to use NAPA's gasket remover, like a spray can of paint remover, and a razor blade.

The ignition cover doesn't do much, no oil or anything, more of a dust cover. Usually the old ones are not stuck and can be reused forever. You can cut a gasket out of anything, cherios box, gasket paper, whatever.

The valve cover does leak, so I bought some gasket remover and will be working on that tomorrow. Nessism, thanks for the application tip. You have had some good ideas that have been very helpful.Todays priority is taking care of my wife on Mother's Day. She has a project or two for me to accomplish.

I also bought Karropak and rubber fiber gasket rolls for the breather cover and ignition cover. Would either of these be a better choice?

Lastly, I went to get the shims I needed (I need 3/2.50 shims)The dealership that had them asked me if I needed the bigger or smaller diameter and I said the bigger as its an 82 model bike. I get home and these shims are about 1 or 2 mm too small in diameter. The dealership was closed by the time I got home so I have to wait to figure this one out. In the meantime I'll be taking care of the gaskets and doing some clean up on the engine.

Thanks for the advice
        Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2008, 08:01 AM.

Comment

The dealership that had them asked me if I needed the bigger or smaller diameter and I said the bigger as its an 82 model bike. I get home and these shims are about 1 or 2 mm too small in diameter. The dealership was closed by the time I got home so I have to wait to figure this one out.
          Any chance that this dealership also carries Kawasaki and/or Yamaha?

Their "larger" shims are 29 mm in diameter, Suzuki shims are 29.5 mm. :shock:

It might be nice to hang on to one of them to use when shuffling shims around during an adjustment, but I would not run the engine with one in there. On the other hand, unless you also have a Kaw or Yamaha in your stable, it might be better to not confuse things with a smaller shim lying around. I used to have a Kaw and still have two Yamahas, so I still have a need for the smaller shims.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X