No announcement yet.

I can't get my bike started.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never done anything like a carb rebuild before, would I be in over my head and be better off having a professional do it or should I be alright on my own as long as I have the tools.

Comment

You can do it! Print out the Carb cleaning series and have a go. Get some o-rings from Robert Barr.
      Get an impact driver for the carb rack.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I agree, JCG, you should be able to do it. Just do one at a time and take your time. Don't separate them as they'll need resynched if you do.

Comment

I wouldn't jump into carbs just yet. Unhook the fuel line (larger hose) from the petcock and carefully turn the lever to PRI. IF fuel does NOT come out the screen in the tank is plugged, or the small tubes are clogged. If it does come out turn it back to either RES or On and then spray carb cleaner through the fuel line (should still be loose) for about 30 seconds and see if that clears things up.

If you were running it regular and it suddenly had this problem, I don't think the carbs dirtied up overnight. Most likely some junk is clogging the petcock.

Oh yeah, the petcock can break too. This is a sudden problem where the diaphragm inside the petcock springs a leak and doesn't turn the gas on. Easy to replace kits are around 22 dollars on ebay or at the dealer.

So if even if your getting gas on PRI the petcock is still suspect.

Save the carb job for later when your better prepared.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
            I wouldn't jump into carbs just yet. Unhook the fuel line (larger hose) from the petcock and carefully turn the lever to PRI. IF fuel does NOT come out the screen in the tank is plugged, or the small tubes are clogged. If it does come out turn it back to either RES or On and then spray carb cleaner through the fuel line (should still be loose) for about 30 seconds and see if that clears things up.

If you were running it regular and it suddenly had this problem, I don't think the carbs dirtied up overnight. Most likely some junk is clogging the petcock.

Oh yeah, the petcock can break too. This is a sudden problem where the diaphragm inside the petcock springs a leak and doesn't turn the gas on. Easy to replace kits are around 22 dollars on ebay or at the dealer.

So if even if your getting gas on PRI the petcock is still suspect.

Save the carb job for later when your better prepared.
            Good advice.

Comment

Cleaning carbs is always a good idea but not the first thing to do when the bike acts up. If nothing else, it's a major job that costs money and requires at least a weekend to do right.

Personally I acquired another set of carbs, rebuilt them and installed while keeping the originals close by for comparison, and as a backup if something went wrong. Worth it to me.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Alright, it took me awhile but I almost have everything put back together (A bolt broke in 2 and I couldn't find my drill to drill it out with) . The only thing I need to do is reconnect the gas line to the tank which seems almost impossible to me. Any tips on getting it to fit?

Comment

Twist as you push.
                  Maybe a little little little bit of grease on the brass nipple of the petcock.

Comment

Originally posted by JCG View Post
                    The only thing I need to do is reconnect the gas line to the tank which seems almost impossible to me. Any tips on getting it to fit?
                    You sure you have the right hose? It's bigger than the other two and goes down between the 2 and 3 carbs to the fuel rail. That end is hard to attach without a very long needle nose. The fuel supply line is fairly easy to attach by lifting the back of the tank slightly enough to get your hand in there. The vent hose is much smaller and heads in that same direction down to the ground.

Comment

you need a manual

if fuel is flowing and you have spark i would shhot a bit of ether into the airbox.

no choke no throttle open.

if it doesnt pop on ehter then there is a problem.

If this bike has only 4k on it then it is a new machine both mechanically and electrically.

is the cranking speed high?

Comment

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
                        You sure you have the right hose? It's bigger than the other two and goes down between the 2 and 3 carbs to the fuel rail. That end is hard to attach without a very long needle nose. The fuel supply line is fairly easy to attach by lifting the back of the tank slightly enough to get your hand in there. The vent hose is much smaller and heads in that same direction down to the ground.
                        Yes its the right hose, and my bike only has 2 carbs, there are only 2 hoses that connect to the petcock from what I can see, and they are the fuel line and the vacuum tube.

Comment

Working...
                        X