front sprocket chain clearance issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front sprocket chain clearance issue

When I replaced the front sprocket on my 550 I noticed that the new 16 tooth was slightly thinner (or shallower) than the stock 15 tooth sprocket. Anyway, with the new sprocket installed (without any spacers behind it), I snugged it up, locked it in place with the lock washer, and put on a new o-ring 530 chain, (which is slightly wider than the old chain). I got everything lined up straight as far as I can tell, but I do have a concern about the tight clearance between the new chain at the front sprocket and the engine case. There is no contact between the chain and the case, but the clearance is minimal. Should I go with a spacer or leave it?

If the old sprocket had spacers installed on both sides (they call them dampeners) take of one side and use it as a spacer on the inside.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Was the old sprocket a 630 size by chance? Ray.

Comment

I am in the middle of a 530 conversion, and was given a set of 530 sprockets by a fellow GSR to try out. They were too small. I did an 1100 swingarm conversion on my 750, and the sprockets were small enough the chain wouldnt clear the front of the swinger. I DIDNT however need the spacer on it tho. Some people have said they have had to, so i dunno if different models require it, but give it a shot. its just a 1/8 inch or so washer.

Comment

I'm going to uncover the sprocket today and take some measurements of the old and the new. I'll report back.

Comment

Here are the numbers:
            -old front sprocket 8.75 mm wide
            -new front sprocket 7.8 mm wide
            difference: .95mm

-old original roller chain, 21mm wide (measured at the pins)
            -new 530 0-ring chain, 24.5 mm
            difference: 3.5 mm

Ok, so I'm losing .95mm in width at the sprocket and dealing with an extra wide chain. With the new set-up, the clearance between the chain and the engine case at the front sprocket (at closest point) is slightly less than 2mm. There is no chain contact when I run the bike on the center stand, but I'm concerned that the 2mm clearance is just too close. Should I get a couple of spacers (dampeners) to bring things out some or should I leave it as is?

Comment

Working...
            X