Done polishing my turd for this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done polishing my turd for this year

Spent the winter adjusting the valves and putting a GS1100EZ front end with anti dives on my 1100GZ. Someone here asked me to follow up with how it came out when I was done so here I am. I just replaced the fork tubes and lower legs, calipers and master cylinder. Note if you decide to do this, you must use the 1100EZ headlight ears so you can assemble the 1100EZ front end with the air pressure cross over tubes. Front end has progressive springs and shimmed bushings. I've ridden it maybe 20 miles over the past week, increase the preload on the springs and tightened the steering stem bearings this morning and am heading out this afternoon for an easy 40-50 mile jaunt.
    My tach started screaming on my initial run this year (as it was doing last year) so I took it apart to lube but on reassembly a gob of dried glue wound up on the inside of the glass and one of the reflectors for the instrument light fell off so I got disgusted and put the faded one on I had in my parts box that worked great last time I used it. Naturally, now that one has a mind of its own and the needle wanders all over the friggin place as it sees fit. So I'm looking for a tach with fuel gauge if anyone has a spare and thinks it actually works.
    Like I said, I'm done polishing my turd for this year.

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
    Spent the winter adjusting the valves and putting a GS1100EZ front end with anti dives on my 1100GZ. Someone here asked me to follow up with how it came out when I was done so here I am. I just replaced the fork tubes and lower legs, calipers and master cylinder. Note if you decide to do this, you must use the 1100EZ headlight ears so you can assemble the 1100EZ front end with the air pressure cross over tubes. Front end has progressive springs and shimmed bushings. I've ridden it maybe 20 miles over the past week, increase the preload on the springs and tightened the steering stem bearings this morning and am heading out this afternoon for an easy 40-50 mile jaunt.
    My tach started screaming on my initial run this year (as it was doing last year) so I took it apart to lube but on reassembly a gob of dried glue wound up on the inside of the glass and one of the reflectors for the instrument light fell off so I got disgusted and put the faded one on I had in my parts box that worked great last time I used it. Naturally, now that one has a mind of its own and the needle wanders all over the friggin place as it sees fit. So I'm looking for a tach with fuel gauge if anyone has a spare and thinks it actually works.
    Like I said, I'm done polishing my turd for this year.
    I have a guage set thats just sitting collecting dust. I think its off a 550L, and think it has a fuel gauge. Lemme check.

Comment

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Well here ya go. Special mention to Frankenzuki who took time out of some goings on in his life to hook me up with some bracketry I needed to get my bike back on the road.

Comment

Thank you. \\/

By the way... your sig says 82 GS 1100G rat. Where's the rat? I only saw a nice-looking bike in the pics.

Last edited by Steve; 05-11-2008, 03:07 PM.
          sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thank you. \\/

By the way... your sig says 82 GS 1100G rat. Where's the rat? I only saw a nice-looking bike in the pics.

Lot of stuff the camera hides. Bike runs very well but cosmetically it could use a major makeover. I came very very close to selling it this year. Problem is I have a real soft spot for these drive trains. It does everything just enough for me. I just wish it wasn't so rusty, scratched, dented etc. I put the 1100EZ front end on it because the original tubes were so pitted that the seals I replaced last year only lasted 3/4 of last season. But I'm riding it for another year. I looked, believe me I looked, but nothing convinced me to lay down 2-3-4-5 K. Perhaps I'm jaded and living in the past but thanks for your kind words.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2008, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I happen to have a fondness for the 1100G as well. One thing i find interesting on your bike. Are those forks off something else? My 82 does NOT have the antidive system on it. Great looking bike. The blue is nice Do you happen to know what/who/colour code for it?

Comment

Hey, CafeKid, does this answer your question?

From the very first post:
                Originally posted by chiphead View Post
                Spent the winter adjusting the valves and putting a GS1100EZ front end with anti dives on my 1100GZ.
                sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Hey, CafeKid, does this answer your question?

From the very first post:
                  Ah..indeed. Totally missed that. Never said i was the most observant in the world :P

Comment

wow awesome. those are EXACTLY the forks i have, with exactly the same bike. i'm now positive that i have ez forks, and now i know what speedo cable to order. plus now i know it'd look good in blue! nice ride, man!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      I happen to have a fondness for the 1100G as well. One thing i find interesting on your bike. Are those forks off something else? My 82 does NOT have the antidive system on it. Great looking bike. The blue is nice Do you happen to know what/who/colour code for it?
                      No color code. Sorry. See this link for the bloody history of the a$$ tank and why it is the color it is.

Thanks for all the positive comments.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2008, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                        wow awesome. those are EXACTLY the forks i have, with exactly the same bike. i'm now positive that i have ez forks, and now i know what speedo cable to order. plus now i know it'd look good in blue! nice ride, man!
                        The speedo cable I'm using is the original part number.
                        All I changed out is the tubes and lower legs, calipers, master cylinder and hoses, headlight ears and lower fork tube brackets that secure the brake lines. EVERYTHING else is "stock" 1100GZ.....fender, speedo drive, triple trees, axle, spacers, discs, etc.

Comment

cool. my gs was lowsided and had no gauges at all, i was not sure if they cable was the same, so i did not order it.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                            cool. my gs was lowsided and had no gauges at all, i was not sure if they cable was the same, so i did not order it.
                            Hey man if you need gauges i have a set off a 550. I think it was an L. They are PRETTY similar to the 1100G gauges. Not exact but close. They would certainly work i would think.

Comment

ya, i really could use'em, how much you want for'em?

Comment

Working...
                              X