Lighted directionals for gs550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighted directionals for gs550e

I look at other bikes going down the road. Their directionals are lit (running lights) yet, on the 1980 gs550, they are not. Only light up when you turn them on to signal.

Could it be possible to wire them so they are like other bikes? Meaning having running lights as well as being able to signal?

This was covered in reasonable depth not long ago, but I can't quite recall the title of the thread. A search should pull it up.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Do a search for 'dual filament'. I've done it and it's very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlander View Post
        I look at other bikes going down the road. Their directionals are lit (running lights) yet, on the 1980 gs550, they are not. Only light up when you turn them on to signal.

Could it be possible to wire them so they are like other bikes? Meaning having running lights as well as being able to signal?
        This was a feature that started in the larger bikes, then filtered down to the smaller ones. Not sure if the 550 ever had them, but no reason why it couldn't.

Yes, it's possible. Two of the ways to do that include getting signals from a larger bike of the same era or replacing the socket inside your current signals.

I suppose if you were handy with electronics, you could add some LEDs in there to provide your running lights, too.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X