Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil filter cover

Hi all,

I was helping my friend change his oil in his '81 GS650G. I thoughtfully said, "Hey, let's go get my torque wrench..." to which my friend said "Nah." To which I said "Well, it's your bike." Now his bike gushes oil from the oil filter cover. I think he over torqued the acorn nuts and stripped them. Well I hope it's the nuts and not the studs! The part number I found was 08313-11068. I was wondering if this was the right number. I was also wondering what size nut would work from the local hardware store. We tried to use #10-36 and #10-24, but they're too small. Same size head, but the thread hole is smaller. Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Andrew,

Part number 08313-11068 is superceded by part number 08313-10067. The stud is part number 01421-06208 and is listed as a 6 X 20 stud bolt. They both cost about $0.70 each at Ron Ayers.

Hap

Comment

Re: Oil filter cover

Originally posted by awachong
      Hi all,
      Now his bike gushes oil
      Andrew
      I want my backyard to gush oil, like in Texas. How about sending your friend over my way? :-)

Kim

Comment

I did the same thing on my 850. Luckily it was the nut that stripped ond not the stud, so I didn't have to bother replacing the stud. You might have the same luck.

Comment

Re: Oil filter cover

Originally posted by kkmiller
          I want my backyard to gush oil, like in Texas. How about sending your friend over my way? :-)

Kim
          Like they say here in Texas:

IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN OIL WELL....GET ONE!!!

Hap
          So much oil here I don't know if my bike is leakin' or not!

Comment

I got rid of the acorn nuts and replaced them with 6 by 1.25 nylocks. They hold better and last longer, go with stainless steel ones if you can get them. I put a thin film of permatex form-a-gasket prior to instalation, then I snug it up and leave it overnight befor adding oil; it sets up great and I never have leaks there anymore.

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemodeller
              I got rid of the acorn nuts and replaced them with 6 by 1.25 nylocks. They hold better and last longer, go with stainless steel ones if you can get them. I put a thin film of permatex form-a-gasket prior to instalation, then I snug it up and leave it overnight befor adding oil; it sets up great and I never have leaks there anymore.

8) Andre 8)
              Great idea Andre. That also answers the question of the thread pitch...looks like 6mm x 20mm with a 1.25 pitch...the possibility of a different pitch on the block end of the stud still exists though.

Hap

Comment

your oil filter cover

I did the same damn thing on my 85 GS550EF. I had to remove the stud, which in my case was 6mm threading. To seal it back up, I bought a 6mm hex bolt and matching washers. First I screwed in the bolt alone to see how much extra play there was. Then I removed and stacked a bunch of washers including a lock washer onto the bolt, and tightened it back in. It holds tight now, let me tell you. Careful when you do this because that threading inside the engine block is delicate. I made sure to fire in some wd 40 to clean out the grit that got in there, which I suspect is what contributed to stripping the nut in the first place.

To remove the stud, you can either get it off by putting 2 nuts on and tighteting one while loosening the other. When they move in opposite ways against each other and are tight, the whole stud should start turning. If not, I used a pair of vice-grips clamped very tight on the end of the stud and just cranked. WARNING, this will flatten the threading at the end of your stud and make it unuseable afterwards.

Good luck.

Comment

Well, we tried getting 6mm nuts from Home Depot. That didn't fix the leak. So either the studs are stripped or the gasket is bad. Though I don't know if it would gush this much if it was just the gasket.

I think my buddy's just about given up on his bike. It also has no front master cylinder, and now it's developed a problem shifting from first to second. It was also run over by an SUV a few months ago (he wasn't on it at the time!). We might still work on the bike for fun, but it's getting to be a mess. It's also his only vehicle at the moment so he's desperately looking for another bike! Thanks for all your help.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  X