Carb Synching how much should it cost? 81 gs650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Synching how much should it cost? 81 gs650

I took the bike out after purchasing it and realized that one carb is out of synch and I am no backyard mechanic when it comes to carbs, so i am wondering what this would cost me to have a dealer do or just a regular bike mechanic? Also if I do not get them done what could happen?

I have never had this done at a dealer, but I have no doubt they would charge at least one hour of labor. For not much more than that price, you can get the tool and do it yourself. Next time you do it, you will have your investment recuperated. And...that's IF they will even work on the bike. A distressing number of dealers are refusing to work on bikes that are more than 10 or 15 years old, and yours is older than both of those numbers added together. :shock:

What will happen? Just more of what you are experiencing now. By the way, you never said how you know it's out of sync. Typical symptoms are rough idle and uneven response just off-idle.

Before you do your carb sync, you really should check the valves. Again, it's a couple more tools, but the book says to do that every 4,000 miles or so, and for some of us that's twice a year, or more often. \\/

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well this is my first bike and all of my friends that ride Harleys are telling me the first sign is uneven coloring on the pipes. I was thinking this could vary bike to bike but you never know..

Honestly they have rode the bike and said its perfect except for the coloring on the pipes 3 are the same and 1 is not.

I hope that makes sense, like I said I am a newb and am yearning to learn.

The last owner of the bike which was the only owner said he went on these forums to get the answer and synched them by hand without the tool after he cleaned the carbs...

So any help would help..

Comment

It sounds like he might have done what we call a "bench sync" where we use a small drill bit or piece of wire to get the throttles about equally open, then double-check it visually, by looking in the throats when the throttles are just barely open. However, this is only to get you close, and is not a substitute for a proper sync with gauges.

By the way, the coloring on the pipes is usually more related to jetting problems, causing that cylinder to run too hot.
        Being out of sync could cause a bit of coloring, but it would have to be pretty far out.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree on getting a sync tool. 1 Hour labor probably gonna cost you 75 bucks minimum and you can get a brand a morgan carbtune for 115.

Comment

Morgan

Yeah, and if you do it yourself, you'll know that it's been done right.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

i agree, mike. i had never done any work before this winter, this forum got me thru carb rebuild, valve adjust, clutch springs, etc etc etc.....its not that hard, just intimidating at first. start with the valve adjust, then get into those carbs. welcome to the forum.
              1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

I agree. Id never vaccum synced before either. Steve came by with his merc stix and showed me how its done. I feel confident, had I a set, (which i plan on purchasing soon) I could do it myself. Its not that its difficult, just a bit time consuming if you want it done right. Now, before this, i had inquired at the EPC Dragbike shop down the street how much they'd charge, they were "guessing" around 160 bucks!! I think the best option is as said above. By the gauges, learn to do it yourself. Even if you only do YOUR bike, its a money saver in the long run. But you could also do your buddies bikes, and make a lil money off it

Comment

the suzuki dealership near me charges $100 to sync carbs. The mannometer costs the same.

Comment

One of the local bike shops here was going to charge me $500 to check the carbs and tune the bike. They wanted $100 just to put the carbs (as they were not stripped )in their ultrasonic cleaner overnight.
                    The bike only cost $350 so you can guess my answer.
                    I have done all of the work on the bike myself. Even built a home made manometer to check the vacuum sync.
                    It is really not that hard and there are plenty of people here who can help if you get stuck.
                    At least if you have done some work on the bike your self when/if it breaks down on the side of the road. You might have some idea how to get it going again.
                    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by tsunamimike View Post
                      I took the bike out after purchasing it and realized that one carb is out of synch and I am no backyard mechanic when it comes to carbs, so i am wondering what this would cost me to have a dealer do or just a regular bike mechanic? Also if I do not get them done what could happen?
                      It cost me $50 at a local Triumph dealer last month. BUT now I know a guy from this list

Comment

talked to two mechanics about my GS, both wouldnt work on it because it had carbs. i plan on purchasing a morgan carbtune soon. i lead a VERY DIY lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                          I agree on getting a sync tool. 1 Hour labor probably gonna cost you 75 bucks minimum and you can get a brand a morgan carbtune for 115.
                          I second this motion.

I was in your position, but since me and my 2 buddies all needed our carbs synced and the air/fuel mix checked out, I just ordered us a Morgan Carb-tune (with the colourtune as well for the air/fuel).

guaranteed that 90% of your costs for a carb-tune tool will be paid back the first time. A huge plus, is that you can keep things in tip top form when YOU want.

POOT

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
                            talked to two mechanics about my GS, both wouldnt work on it because it had carbs. i plan on purchasing a morgan carbtune soon. i lead a VERY DIY lifestyle.

mechanics??? you sure???:shock:

POOT

Comment

I live about an hour from Cleveland, have mercury sticks, and Colourtune. If you can get to my garage, I would gladly help synch and tune them for you. It really isn't too difficult, worst part is trying not to get burnt while putting the adapters in the vacuum ports. If not convenient, we can walk you through procedure. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X