Brake light only works with REAR brake, common problem? 81' GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light only works with REAR brake, common problem? 81' GS650

As i said I know that this may be a common problem but if i squeeze the handle bar brake no light but if i use the rear brake i get a light. HOw do i fix this, it is probably something stupid but the original owner never wooried about it..

First thing I'd recommend is to clean up the sliding contacts on the front brake switch at the master cylinder. Be careful, there is a very small spring and u shaped copper contact. If the parts are missing, order a new one - cheap fix.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by tsunamimike View Post
      As i said I know that this may be a common problem but if i squeeze the handle bar brake no light but if i use the rear brake i get a light. HOw do i fix this, it is probably something stupid but the original owner never wooried about it..
      Nothing is a stupid problem. If I was troubleshooting your bike, I'd locate the front brake switch (near the handle), disconnect it, verify that you see battery voltage on one wire - if no voltage (test light will usually suffice here) then troubleshoot this first (fuse....wiring etc associated). If you do see voltage here, then bridge the 2 wires and see if the rear light then works, if it does, clean or repair or replace the switch. If it doesn't, then troubleshoot that wire to where it tee's into the output wire from the rear brake (foot) switch.

At any rate.....if you were to tear down the switch (per Ness's advice), test as above as this will prove to be the best spot.

Comment

Front brake light/stop light switch

The front brake has a simple switch that operates the rear brake light.

It is prone to moisture and corrosion in a short period of time.

The switch operates by moving a small brass peice to make an electrical connection when the front brake is squeezed.

To access the switch remove your right mirror and unbolt the front brake lever from your handle bars. There are two 10mm bolts which attach your brake lever and front brake resovoir to the handle bar to the left of your throttle.

Turn the brake lever upside down as the switch access is underneath and you need to take care you don't lose the brass peice and spring contained in the switch.

The switch is secured by two small screws and has the wiring connections running into the switch.

CAUTION:

Carefully remove the screws, ensuring you don't drop or lose the brass contact and spring.

The two electrical points and brass contact are probably dirty or corroded. Clean and reassemble.

Clean contacts will ensure your electrical connection is good and your brake light should glow as required. LOL
        Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
        1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
        1977 GS400
        1974 Montesa 250
        1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Wow, I am a newby on this forum and am thrilled to get 3 quick responses. I will attempt the cleaning tonight!! TY

Comment

Originally posted by tsunamimike View Post
            I had this same problem on my 77 GS750. When I took the switch apart there was nothing inside. Maybe the PO never used the front brake and decided he didn't need the switch to work

I ordered a replacement from Bike Bandit for like $20. Took 5 min to fix once I had the part.

Good luck!

Comment

If you need to buy a switch, I would suggest buying one of the switches that replace one of your banjo bolts. Less prone to failure, and still about $20 (or less).

Comment

Where are thye best internet sites to buy parts for these?

Comment

Not sure if Z1Enterprises carries that switch or not. I bought mine from Dennis Kirk. JCWhitney and JPCycle prolly carry the same switch.

Comment

CRC2 has the switch for $9:

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

Terrible web site, but be persistent. You want to find the "brakes" area, then "brake light switches".

It's the third item down on this frame:
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                    X