Exhaust recommendations anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust recommendations anyone?

The h-pipe on the stock exhaust of my 1980 GS1000G has broken apart, and all of the pipes are badly pitted, scraped up etc., so I'm looking for a new exhaust system.

Any recommendations on brands and where to buy? I'd like to keep the price down but I want quality parts that won't wear out super fast.

Any advantage to going to a 4 into 1 system, and will I have to futz a lot with the carbs if I make this change?

TIA
    Ben

Also what is the general opinion of the Jardine 4-1 black systems with the polished aluminum canister?

I like the looks better than Vance & Hines and MAC systems but know nothing about which is the better quality brand.

Comment

Hmm..you wouldn't happen to know what brand the 4-1 on my bike is ? The guy I bought the bike from certainly didn't.

(the pic isn't exactly good, I can take some more if there's interest)

My exhaust looks pretty good, but it's a tad too loud for my taste - it let's too much of the high-pitched noise through. It does turn heads, but then again the cops can hear me long before I pass any of their speed traps

Comment

Did you check the packing in the muffler? I had an 1100 once, and it was pretty loud. I finally went to replace the packing, and low and behold, there was none in it at all. Oh, and you should really try giving it a short cruise without the baffle, I could not believe the power difference. Although my ears were ringing a bit after.

Comment

My exhaust is loud and obnoxious and I absolutely love it. Its a Supertrapp sans baffles. Here's a pic:

1982 GS1100E

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Why ruin a great exaust system with baffels 8O 8O

PS --Where are your ugly signal lights???

Comment

EBAY has 2 stockers on sale if your interested in that route. :twisted:

Comment

I've got a MAC 4-1 system. It blows. Literally and figurativly.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Inglburt
                  Did you check the packing in the muffler? I had an 1100 once, and it was pretty loud. I finally went to replace the packing, and low and behold, there was none in it at all. Oh, and you should really try giving it a short cruise without the baffle, I could not believe the power difference. Although my ears were ringing a bit after.
                  Nope, haven't done anything to it yet - I'd like to know what brand it is though. I usually ride with ear plugs, making the exhaust note exactly what I want it to sound like - I just wish it sounded like that without the ear plugs.

Comment

Hi,
                    I have a Marshall deeptone 4-1 exhaust on my bike. It is not that expensive and not very loud. It looks simple and nice. Looks well on a classic bike.
                    My bike is a GS750, but I just checked it today and it fits on a GS1000 as well.
                    Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                      Where are your ugly signal lights???
                      Turn signals are just so.....ugly.... I had to put them on to get it registered (that pic was taken about 15min after I got it home) but they should be comming off again. Plus, my little backrest/rack thing doesn't work with the rears on.

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Working...
                      X