Help with trans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with trans.

I have an 81 gs750L that the trans. quit on me this morning while on my way to work. Came up to a light and when I put it in gear let off the clutch there is nothing there.
    When I push it with it out of gear I can hear what sounds like a clattering noise as if the sprocket that drives the chain is shot.
    My question is, I have a 78 gs750 and would like to know if these two years would have interchangable parts???[-o<
    I am currently at work so I had no time to take the side cover off and see what the problem is yet.
    Thanks for any help.

Check your front sprockets bolt, it's possible it worked it's way off, it should have a special washer to prevent it, but it's still possible. If it did come off, your sprocket may be free wheeling on the shaft.

Not sure about the interchangeability of parts for those 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom View Post
      Check your front sprockets bolt, it's possible it worked it's way off, it should have a special washer to prevent it, but it's still possible. If it did come off, your sprocket may be free wheeling on the shaft.

Not sure about the interchangeability of parts for those 2 years.
      I used the chain from the 78 to put onto the 81 and they have the same tooth count and looked the same if I remember right.
      When I did the chain swap, I remember the 81's front sprocket being a little loose feeling compared to the 78's. Is there anything that could blow out on the sprocket itself?

Comment

I'm with Luke. take the cover off and see if the front sprocket has come off. I have seen a kawi zepher 1100 do it and they have a set up just like that used on the GS.

Comment

i agree with the sprocket coming off. if it were inside the transmission, it would probably make a sound all the time, not just when the bike is rolling.

Comment

Had my wife pick me up from work (of course she wasn't happy) ,got the bike picked up and back home.
            Took off the side cover and found that the nut that holds the sprocket on had came off. A little damage done to the threads, but the nut still threaded on enough to tighten down the sprocket.
            So, what caused it to come loose???
            Could I have gotten the chain too tight when I installed it?
            The chain was off of my 78 and it was a bit aged, now I notice that a few of the orings have came off.
            Any suggestions on a replacement chain? And can I run it the way it is (with the orings missing) until I get another chain in???
            Also, I plan on putting red loctite on the nut holding the sprocket, sound like the right thin to do??

Comment

OK..just to answer your question, im pretty sure VERY little from the 78 motor is interchangeable with the 81. I found ONE part number that matched in my searches for the same question, but that doesnt mean they DONT work, just that only one had matching part numbers. that was the starter clutch and gears.

Anyway, with your chain missing an oring or two, DONT ride it like that. There is something thats causing that, be it old age or otherwise. INSPECT your sprockets as well. IF you have any teeth that are long, twisted, bent or just plain dont look right, GET RID OF IT. Get a new one. I was dumb and once rode my lil KZ440 when i knew it had a tooth catching. Bout 10 miles i rode it, then when i got off and looked at it, a link fell off in my hand. Extremely dangerous. The last thing you want is the chain coming apart, and wrapping up in your wheel or something of the like. Oring chains for these bikes can be purchased at numerous places. If i remember right the size is 630x96.

Comment

Another question about this situation of mine..... should there be a bolt and washer that thread into the end of the shaft that the chain drive pulley goes onto???
                Looking at a diagram on Bikebandit.com , I see a bolt, lockwasher?, and large washer that go on after the nut. Looks as if that would keep the nut from coming off.
                My 78 has a washer (splined inside) that bends up to hold the nut in place.

Comment

My 77 has the same set up. I think they all just have a lock washer that goes on before the nut, then bend part of it OVER the nut to keep it from spinning off.

Comment

The diagram doesn't show a washer that bends up for my 81, it has the washer and bolt going on after the nut.

Comment

huh...id have to see it. I dont remember the 80 750E i took apart having that either, but i could be wrong.

Comment

After looking at the end of the shaft, there are no threads for a bolt to go into. The nut that holds the sprocket on is not a plain nut like the 78 and the sprocket is different also.
                        Here's a pic

Comment

Working...
                        X