Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Also: Using carb cleaner with o-rings still mounted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also: Using carb cleaner with o-rings still mounted?

Hey again,
    So I successfully cleaned my carbs (replaced all seals and gaskets but not mechanical parts/jets) last Summer and have adjusted them to get great plug readings now but my mileage is not very good at 25-30mpg. My tank was pretty rusty and I didn't get to cleaning/sealing it with POR15 until a month after the carb cleaning so I'll bet they're pretty dirty again.

My question is do I need to remove the o-rings from all the jets before spraying them out with carb cleaner? Is a little cleaner going to ultimately ruin them? Is there something else I might have done to cause poor mileage? I'm replacing the petcock with a unit from Z1 too since that seems to be a good idea on a 30 year old bike with a rusty tank. It's a '79 GS850 btw. Thanks!

Josh

Howdy Josh, im Josh too..heh. Anyways, yes eventually the carb cleaner will break down the rubber/plastic parts in your carbs if you dont replace them. Have you actually DIPPED the carbs to clean them? Or just taking them apart and spraying them with carb cleaner? I would suggest dipping them to assure that you are getting all the lil passageways cleaned out properly. These carbs are finicky, and not properly cleaning them can lead to a myriad of problems, including crappy fuel economy (there are lots of issues that can lead to that as well) *I* would suggest taking them down and doing it this way. There is a very very good tutorial on the VM series carbs on the front page of the GSResources in the Garage section. One of my bikes uses these particular carbs, as well as a good friend of mine whose carbs are soaking in my basement now. I would suggest picking up new orings for them at www.cycleorings.com they are cheap enough that it doesnt make sense NOT to replace them if you question them at all. Also, from that same site pick yourself up a set of intake boot orings, as if you havent changed them since YOUVE owned the bike, i would question their integrity. Air leaks around those boots can lead to a lean mixture, making tuning the carbs properly nearly impossible. If you were able to get it to run right, it would be so rich, that you would experience the poor fuel economy possibly as well. Any other questions, feel free to ask

TCK

Comment

Thanks Josh. I never liked my name until I got older and realized there were a lot of my peers named Josh. I think it was popular in the '70s, eh?

I rebuilt the carbs according to the VM rebuild guide on the site but I didn't dip them because I can't find Berryman's or equivalent anywhere in NYC or nearby. I've also replaced ALL rubber from the airbox to the motor including all the o-rings (cycleorings.com thank you very much) and gaskets and sealed the airbox so that's taken care of. I've also adjusted the valves, installed a Dyna S, new sparkplug boots, fixed oil leaks etc...

I cleaned the bodies with a ton of cleaner and compressed air but maybe I still need to dip them? And then since I've already replaced the o-rings, I suppose I should remove them when cleaning the jets again, right? I'm a little leery of doing that because they seem a little fragile and hard to move without ripping.

Josh

Comment

I've never tested them with spray carb cleaner, but I'd be very surprised if they were harmed in any way. Berrymans, yeah -- it'll eat them. But spray carb cleaner, I'd bet it won't hurt the O-rings.

When I have some time I'll put a few in a jar full of spray cleaner, but I think it's about 99% certain that you'll be OK.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
          I've never tested them with spray carb cleaner, but I'd be very surprised if they were harmed in any way. Berrymans, yeah -- it'll eat them. But spray carb cleaner, I'd bet it won't hurt the O-rings.

When I have some time I'll put a few in a jar full of spray cleaner, but I think it's about 99% certain that you'll be OK.
          Robert ive actually been working on a set of carbs that contain orings purchased from you, that werent dipped and blasted with spray. SOME of the rings had broken down. Now I am not positive that the spray was the culprit, but I would rather be safe than sorry, and try to keep any cleaner type solvents away from the orings. I guess it stands to reason that the carb cleaner is assumed to be safe for such things, but *I* dont trust it. lol

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
            Thanks Josh. I never liked my name until I got older and realized there were a lot of my peers named Josh. I think it was popular in the '70s, eh?

I rebuilt the carbs according to the VM rebuild guide on the site but I didn't dip them because I can't find Berryman's or equivalent anywhere in NYC or nearby. I've also replaced ALL rubber from the airbox to the motor including all the o-rings (cycleorings.com thank you very much) and gaskets and sealed the airbox so that's taken care of. I've also adjusted the valves, installed a Dyna S, new sparkplug boots, fixed oil leaks etc...

I cleaned the bodies with a ton of cleaner and compressed air but maybe I still need to dip them? And then since I've already replaced the o-rings, I suppose I should remove them when cleaning the jets again, right? I'm a little leery of doing that because they seem a little fragile and hard to move without ripping.

Josh
            I wouldnt say so much that they are FRAGILE, but a couple of the rings seem very difficult to remove without tearing or at least STRETCHING them out of shape. The set that i am working on for my buddy has newer rings installed, but he ordered another set from Robert for this very reason. Roberts sets are awesome, and cheap enough that it doesnt make sense NOT to replace them if you go fidling with them at all yanno? Great service provided by him. Not to get off topic, but speaking of GSR member provided services, Elkyfan and I are working on a couple of ideas to provide some replacement parts for GSs as well. I have a buddy that does the 'glass body work for the Miss Budwieser, and we and he (wow horrible english) are working on some ideas to be able to CHEAPLY reproduce body work for GSs (and eventually other makes) complete with STOCK mounts. Hopefully we'll be able to make them cheaper than buying NOS ones now, and when NOS arent available anymore, these will be.

Comment

You can find Berryman's at AUTO ZONE ,I moved from New York recently, unless there are environmental laws preventing New York from selling it ( usually on long Island there are Hazmat issues ) If they don't have it they can order it for you and generally arrives to the store in less than a week free shipping. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
              X