Header gasket removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header gasket removal

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the old header gaskets?

I don't necessarily know it's the best way,but I just pull them out with my finger, unless you meant head gasket, then, again I'm not sure it's the best way, but it's been easiest for me, is to remove the chunks (carefully) with a wire wheel on a drill, then remove any stubborn spots with a 'Scotch-Brite' pad,( a shot of Brakleen never hurts) again carefully, as the scotchbrite is capable of scratching even glass (another sad story)

Comment

finger tight?

I wish I could get the #$%@# header gaskets out with my fingers, or a screwdriver, but they won't budge. I talked to one of the techs at the dealership yesterday and he suggested using a hammer and chisel. The last thing I want to do is wreck the heads by beating on them with a hammer and chisel!

Comment

Gaskets

All ex-pipe gaskets are made of copper or a fibre material so you SHOULD be able to dig them out with a thin screwdriver/chisel without to much hassle. Use grease on the new one's to stop them falling out when you are trying to put pipes back on.

Comment

If I remember correctly... Aren't the stock exhaust seals spiral-shaped? Seems to me I spent a long time trying to remove them until I realized I could grab the end of the coil, and the whole thing sort of unwound as I pulled on it. Does this sound right, or am I way off base here?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by crwper
            If I remember correctly... Aren't the stock exhaust seals spiral-shaped? Seems to me I spent a long time trying to remove them until I realized I could grab the end of the coil, and the whole thing sort of unwound as I pulled on it. Does this sound right, or am I way off base here?

Michael
            Had this happen with a couple of mine that were being a pain. Once I got a hold of an outside edge it pulled out like it was a slinky. I've got a small screwdriver that at one time or another I'd bent the end over for grabbing or prying. It works real well to get them started.
            I also had the shop vac running with the hose right up to exhaust port just in case the "spring" broke and something tried to fly back up in the engine.

Comment

Thanks Guys, I go out to the garage and pry again.

Comment

NICE!

Thanks Guys!!!
                I used an old sharpened screwdriver and a light tap with a small hammer to get it started and the header crush gaskets came out just like slinkys. I installed the V&H exhaust system and it sounds NICE! :twisted: It seems like it's half the weight of the old rusted out stock GL system. Next the jet kit...

Comment

Working...
                X