Pipe not getting hot???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipe not getting hot???

Hi, my 750 gsL starts and runs but one of the pipes does not get hot (not hot enough to burn your hand) there is spark at the plug, but the plug is wet. I have gone through the carbs since it was not running and now it will start and I can drive it around but seems to only be running on three cyl. runs pretty good though, I would think one cyl. missing/not running would cause it to run terrible?? What do you think????? It has been a little hard to start and when it finaly does, runs like its only on half cyl. then all of a sudden seems to kick in and come alive (like other cyl. start firing) but the one cyl. does not get hot.

Carb cleaning and a good sync.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

lemme guess, #2 cylinder(please say yes or ill be thoroughly embarassed)

might be a leaking petcock diaphragm.

Comment

Well, sorry buts its #1 or #4 going left to right its the one on the right. when sitting on the bike ?? As for the petcock, well mine is stuck in the open position so I have a manual valve installed in the line to the carbs. I just took it around the block and it ran rough now, and did a little back firing. Got back in the garage and checked the plugs. The one in which the pipe does not get hot is wet (plug fires with spark) the rest of the plugs are very black sooty. So looks to be real rich?? right?? I'm running pods on the carbs and a vance hine 4/1 pipe. The bike would not start or run unless choked fully with the original main jets. I opted to keep the pods so I rejeted the carbs from 112.5 mains to 122 mains per the local suzuki shop and went bigger on the starter jets as well, from 42 to 59 per the shop. This made it start right up and run (i was happy) but it does'nt run like it should. The floats were set at .95 in. as the haynes manual said using the caliper method. Hmmmm did I go to big on the mains??? what do you think??? Thanks for the info, I really need the help.

Comment

Common

That's such a common problem!! I'd suggest you check your compression and give us your numbers. It may be very revealing. If you've never checked it, you should do so, anyway. It's really easy and the necessary tool is sold at Harbor Freight for about 25 bucks (I think).

As Bill suggests, maybe a good carb cleaining and synch job will do it but I'd still check the compression to see 'where you stand'.:-D

By the way, anytime you get away from stock equipment....I'm pretty well lost.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Sounds to me like you're sucking air at that carb and not getting vacuum.Cheers,Simon.8-[
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Working...
            X