poor mans fork brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

poor mans fork brace

Ya know I was sittin here thinkin! :x couldnt you use a modified tripple clamp for a fork brace??? Theres nothing special about them.

Should work. Just have it planed to be as thin as possible and not get into the portion the bolts go through.

Comment

You would have to find a triple clamp with the same diameter holes as your lower fork tubes + dust seal. Most fork braces use two pieces on each side to clamp around the lower fork leg, to make installation easier. There is not alot of expandability in the clamps on a triple clamp (1-2 mm I would guess). You can't just slide the stock triple clamp down, because it would interfere with fork travel.

Just an eyeball glance tells me that the holes in the triple clamp would have to be over 60mm. I don't know any bike that has fork tubes that big.

Comment

Originally posted by markjohnson75
        Just an eyeball glance tells me that the holes in the triple clamp would have to be over 60mm. I don't know any bike that has fork tubes that big.
        Wouldn't a bike with inverted forks have a triple clamp that would fit?

Comment

Somehow this just doesn't sound as cheap as just ordering a Telefix for $129.
          "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Luke
            Wouldn't a bike with inverted forks have a triple clamp that would fit?
            That would be a good project for someone willing to spend a few bucks to find out. You would have to know what the centers of the bores the donor clamp were on. But if you could find one on Ebay and get info from the seller there is no reason it couldn't work. An upper clamp would be great from an inverted fork if it works. A little machining is all it would take. Many of the early to mid '80 750 and liter class andlarger GS bikes had fork specs that were shared. Telefix used to have them for GS models.

Comment

By the time you'd done all the necessary machining, you might as well make one from scratch!!

Another thing is that a fork brace made like this wouldn't be adjustable for width. Anybody who's ever fitted a non-adjustable fork brace will tell you that unless the spacing is exactly right, it will cause your forks to be stiff.

A triple clamp from a bike with inverted forks just happening to be a perfect fit to use as a fork brace?

Comment

Working...
              X