Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug Peer Review!

What do we think?

Just adjusted the valves to .005", dynojet kit on second clip position from bottom, 138 mains, 170 pilot airs, new intake boots, etc.

Shouldn't the porcelain around the center electrode go tan, or is that supposed to be the outside rim which is currently wearing a little antiseize spillover?

Also, is my keeping the crush washer on the plug wrong? I don't want to be accidentally lowering the CR a tiny bit, etc.

keep the crush washer in place it is necessary for sealing purposes. Here are some links to plug reading. Some info is from a 2stroke forum I'm on but good info and pics all the same.

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ark-plugs.html

This should at least get you started.

Comment

Hard to tell from the photos but from my experience, it's hard to get a good plug reading until you have a few more miles on the bike. I'd say to let driveability be your judge.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I agree with Nessim, but if i had to say, based on those, id say you're a lil lean yet. Especially on that first one. The second one seems to look a lil better, but the pic is darker as well.

Comment

How's it running? Are these plug reads with the bike coming off idle?
          Mark the throttle 1/4 1/2 3/4. Do plug chops with these marks.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozmiander View Post
            What do we think?
            We think we need more information. :shock:

If you are riding an 850, you are missing a couple of plugs and the jets are all wrong, but they might be right for your bike.
            If you are riding a 450, you have the right number of plugs, but I have not idea if those are the right jets.
            In other words, we just have no idea what you're riding.
            If you have valves that are adjusted with shims, the .005" is too much. Specs call for .001-.003".

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They're #1 and #4 on my '83 1100E.
              Dynojet kit with 138 mains, needles on second position from bottom, 170 pilot airs and k&n pods/v&h megaphone. The bike starts on the first crank with full choke and goes like a demon. But then again my only other bike was a '75 GT380..

Comment

Are these numbers for the jets in a CV or VM carb? I just installed a Dynojet kit in my 1979 GS 1000's VM 26s. The main jet was 138, the needles replaced with the Dynojet needles, and a tech services guy at Dyno said to keep the 15 pilot jets that are stock. This is with a 4-1 and K&N pods. When I see numbers like 150 or 170 for the pilot jets, I'm a little perplexed.
                1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
                  Are these numbers for the jets in a CV or VM carb? I just installed a Dynojet kit in my 1979 GS 1000's VM 26s. The main jet was 138, the needles replaced with the Dynojet needles, and a tech services guy at Dyno said to keep the 15 pilot jets that are stock. This is with a 4-1 and K&N pods. When I see numbers like 150 or 170 for the pilot jets, I'm a little perplexed.
                  It's CV. 170s are just one step down from stock 180s.

Comment

That makes it a little clearer; it's just the order of magnitude between my pilot jets being 15, and the CVs using 170s seems a lot, but the CV carbs use much larger throat sizes that the VMs too.
                    1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
                    X