My baby just wont go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My baby just wont go!

I've been trying to bring to life a 77 GS550.

I tried the MMO tips posted a week or so back. Baught a new battery and charged... she lit up like christmas. Changed the oil, filter. Pulled plugs dropped some MMO down into the cylinders. Let is sit over night. Pulled off the tank and dumped the old gas. Added new gas.

Now when I hit ye ol starter, she makes all sorts of noise like she REALLY wants to start but just cant. I checked the plugs and they were wet, once, twice and even three times. But I was getting spark.

So now I'm letting it sit again, so I can give it another try. This time I'm going to pull the air filters off and give them a cleaning first... they are pretty dry and I'm sure full of garbage.

Any other tips on what I should do? I'm about ready to push it up the hill and pop the clutch to choke some life back into it and burn off all the MMO.

Re: My baby just wont go!

Since youre getting fuel into the cylinders and its pretty difficult to keep from getting air, I suspect an ignition problem. The 77 has points ignition.
    Have you checked point gaps and point condition, replaced condensors and static timed the engine? If the timing is off, you can be getting all kinds of spark at the plugs, but it still isnt going to start or run.

Earl

Originally posted by GS77
    I've been trying to bring to life a 77 GS550.

I tried the MMO tips posted a week or so back. Baught a new battery and charged... she lit up like christmas. Changed the oil, filter. Pulled plugs dropped some MMO down into the cylinders. Let is sit over night. Pulled off the tank and dumped the old gas. Added new gas.

Now when I hit ye ol starter, she makes all sorts of noise like she REALLY wants to start but just cant. I checked the plugs and they were wet, once, twice and even three times. But I was getting spark.

So now I'm letting it sit again, so I can give it another try. This time I'm going to pull the air filters off and give them a cleaning first... they are pretty dry and I'm sure full of garbage.

Any other tips on what I should do? I'm about ready to push it up the hill and pop the clutch to choke some life back into it and burn off all the MMO.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I agree with Earl: perhaps you should check the ignition timing first.
      If the ignition timing is correct, you should be able to get the engine running: give it full choke, and don't touch the throttle!
      If the bike has been sitting for a longer period of time, you might need four or five attemps, depending on the temperature. A GS can be very could blooded, especially the ones with slide carbs.

Good luck!

Comment

It's probably just MMO fouling the plugs. Leave the plugs out and crank the motor a little to see if you can blow any of it out of the cylinders. You might want to lay a rag across the head to catch it if any does blow out. Maybe even try a little starting fluid to get it to fire. You should remove the plugs from the wires so you don't have any chance of fire.

Comment

As matter a fact the plugs are wet everytime. And they smell like the MMO. I'm gonna go your route first and then go deeper into the ignition if that fails.

Comment

As matter a fact the plugs are wet everytime. And they smell like the MMO. I'm gonna go your route first and then go deeper into the ignition if that fails.
            clean the plugs with starter fluid . If they fouled badly with the marvel the might not come back to life but usually do. like posted before remove all polugs and turn the bike over till you get all the mystery oil out of the cylinder. reinstall the plugs after you spray them clean with starter fluid and try to start the bike if it doesnt fire spray a little starter fluid into the carbs. if it still doesn't start its probably ign trouble.

Comment

hands in the air, screaming at the sky.... why why why?????

OK, so I , to the best of my ability got the rest of the MMO out of the cylinders. Bought new plugs, put new plugs in..... oh please just give me a sign.

Nothing

Nada

Zip

So I push it up the hill.... I'm poppin the clutch (it worked on cold november days when my baby was working) Down I coast... putter putter, zip.

i tried this 5-6 times, each time letting it coast longer and building up more speed. And still nothing.

Does the starter affect the result of rolling starts?

Does this sound like an electrical problem or a engine problem?

So as an admitted novice with the desire to learn, is this something I can make happen myself or should I turn it over to the pros?

Please advise... I WILL listen!!!!!!!

Comment

Are you sure your getting spark to the plugs? Pull them out and plug them in, lay them on the block (to ground them) and turn the bike over. You should see the spark arc from the plugs to the block. If no spark, then you got electrical troubles. If you got spark, then it's probably what earlfor said above about timing issues.

Comment

Should i pull them ALL out at the same time .... or check each one seperatly?

Comment

It doesnt matter. If theyre going to fire, the will fire either way. :-)
                    Its very late now and I will get back to you on this tomorrow when I get in.

Earl

Should i pull them ALL out at the same time .... or check each one seperatly?
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

It's not starting anyhow, so just pull one at a time.

Comment

When cranking over the bike I find that it helps to hook up jumper cables to the battary from my car. So when I hit the start button the bike cranks fast. This has helped me get my bike running after it has sat for a wile

Comment

I agree with Bekius. Since I had a starter problem I tried to start the bike by pushing it several times down the street. It didn't even give a kick.
                          With my starter fixed and jumper cables connected to the car i got it running in a matter of minutes.

Comment

What about hooking it up to my little battery charger?

The Battery is brand new and I just charged it. So is hooking it up to the jumper to give it that extra oomph?

Comment

Timing is easy to check and a likely culprit, BUT are you still sure the cylinders are getting gas? Remember that wet stuff on the plugs turned out to be MMO. That's worth another check too.

Comment

Working...
                              X