No announcement yet.

Excessive heat problem and Can't get any speed out of her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Cafe. I'll take another look at that. I do have the Dyna ignition system on here, but I'll double check all the wires to make sure I have it wired correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by rahlberg View Post
      Thanks Cafe. I'll take another look at that. I do have the Dyna ignition system on here, but I'll double check all the wires to make sure I have it wired correctly.
      Did you set the timing when you originally put the Dyna system on? Sounds like you are having an issue there possibly. Also, you'll want to test with a multimeter hooked up to the coils one at a time. Spin the motor by hand, and when the timing mark for one and four comes around, you should see a spike on the meter. Then put the meter to the other coil and test the same way. the same should happen. Look on Dyna's site, i believe they have a way to test the pickups to assure that they are working available there.

Comment

I did set the timing using a timing light. But, it was set when the coil wires were on the wrong way.

I guess if I can get it running with the wires on correctly, then I can look at the timing again. But I'll check with the multimeter like you suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by rahlberg View Post
          I did set the timing using a timing light. But, it was set when the coil wires were on the wrong way.

I guess if I can get it running with the wires on correctly, then I can look at the timing again. But I'll check with the multimeter like you suggested.
          Timing light will work too. I dont have one, so i use the multimeter for that. A friend of mine showed me how to do that. One of these days i'll pick up a timing light i suppose...lol

Comment

I'd never used one before, but it was super slick. while running and with the light on, you could see the stobe and dial the pickups to line up. It was really easy.

Comment

Fixed it!!!

Well, it looks like I fixed the problem.

First off, thanks to everyone for their help.

So what'd I do? Well, after going through the wiring from the igniter to the coils, I found out that I had the two signal wires from the igniter to the coils backwards. Because these were backwards, the only way it'd run is when the spark plug wires were on 1-3 and 2-4. When I swapped the igniter wires and put the spark plug wires to 1-4 and 2-3, she kicked over instantly. Idle was a bit high, but nothing a few turns of the idle screw didn't take care of.

So I hoped on, opened the throttle, and she tore off down the street. Tons of power I had no idea she had! I haven't taken her up to any high speeds, but you can definatly tell there's power to take her there.

So what'd I learn from all this? That I know nothing about electronics! Ha! Actually, I learned to check, double check and triple check all wiring connections if there's a problem. Just because I did it right the first time, doesn't mean I did it right.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Russ

Comment

Congratulations for figuring it out!

Comment

Working...
                X