I have a Brake Light!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Brake Light!

Hello everyone, Again Praise God! Thanks to everyone who takes the time to share their expertise. This is what I did: Following the direction of BassCliff, Steve, and Focus Frenzy. I went out bought some contact cleaner at Radio Shack and some dielectric grease, fuses, and some connectors at Auto Zone. Sure enough the 2amp fuse was blown which runs the tail light and the 5amp fuse was corroded which runs the brake light, just as (Focus Frenzy )said! I never would have discovered this as these little surprises are hidden in the headlight pod and arent shown on a wiring diagram. By the way Im working on a 81 1100 GS chain driven bike, just in case someone else runs into this problem. I hope this can help you too! So I started pulling connectors apart in the head light pod cleaning and greasing them as suggested by (Steve.) After clening and greaseing the connectors and fuse holders and replacing the blown 2 amp fuse. The tail light lit and I tried my front brake lever, I had to sueeze the lever rather hard but: Praise God the brake light came on, it stuck though, I had to jiggle the brake lever a little to get it to come off. Now I thought maybe the switch was sticking and corroded. This switch is located on the bottom side of the brake lever ass. where the front master cylinder resivoir is loctated. so I took the ass. loose and turned it upside down, brake fluid didnt come out or even leak a little, before I took the switch apart. Be careful if you ever attempt this their is like a little circuit board with two lines of contacts on it the contacts are molded to the board so there not going anywhere. after you pull the board off very carefully there is a spring loaded contact facing you. I cleaned the entire switch with the spray and greased it. Presto, no sticky switch, not perfect but it works! Now still no rear brake.... yet! now I found a bullet connector located in the battery compartment area, disconnected. The two wires that I put together were a white wire into a red. You guessed it.... I now have a rear brake light too! Praise God and Kudo's to this site and everyone who takes the time to share with others. I never could have kept this bike if I would have had to pay someone to do all this stuff. I still have a lot more to do yet thanks to you guys we'll get it done together. I hope this helps someone else someday too. God Bless you All!

In Gratitude, Johnycon
    Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2008, 10:09 AM. Reason: more clarification

Rock and roll.

Comment

and Praise God (apparently).

Comment

ow my eyes hurt. :shock:

glad that fixed it!

Comment

Breathe! !
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I love happy endings! :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X