No announcement yet.

1982 gs850l gas mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I am learning a ton about my bike I have another question about the carbs. When I cleaned them I had a hard time with the CV Boot it would not stay in that ring for nothing, curl up etc when I put it back on. I have no doubt it's just mashed between the top cover and carb but it runs fine.

Should I worry about this, if I have a problem down the road can I get new boots or do I need the whole new needlevalve assembly?

any tips on how to get that boot to stay in the track when putting these back together?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
      Consensus on here is use the zip tie method not the shim tool. zip tie is both easier AND cheaper.
      Consensus???
      You didn't ask me.

The proper tool is way easier, quicker, and does no damage.

I used the zip ties while my tools were elsewhere, pain in the ass.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Consensus???
        You didn't ask me.

The proper tool is way easier, quicker, and does no damage.

I used the zip ties while my tools were elsewhere, pain in the ass.
        HA!
        Consensus means "the general opinion by most people", not unanimous.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
          I'm getting my first taste of them in the past few days. Finally got the crappy old tires replaced with the sport demons. Got about 200 miles on them now, so leaning a little further every day. I plan to keep going over til I hear that sound of the footpeg scrape. I ride with some guys on modern sport bikes on occasion, so they challenge me for sure.
          Sounds like you read my first draft... I thought I edited it quickly enough! I've actually thought about fooling around in an empty parking lot to learn to trust it. Also, to work on those tight way-leaned-over U-turns you see in the books. Hopefully I can get my brakes rebuilt in time to catch the experienced rider class this summer. They still work OK (except the rear is dragging a bit), but I don't want the distraction while I'm trying to learn.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by rrhuehn View Post
            Now about setting clearance, do I need more shims to do this or how does that part work? I have a feeler gauge but I am not familiar with valve shims or how the clearence is actually set.
            Do you have any kind of manual for your bike? All three of the popular manuals (Factory, Clymer, Haynes) have a decent section on how to adjust the valves. BassCliff's website has a nice pictorial. If you send me an e-mail with a request, I will respond with a copy of my spreadsheet that will help you keep track of your shims, and help you choose any new shims.

The concept of adjustment with shims is really rather simple. You measure the present clearance. If it is in spec, great. If not, you will need to change the shim. You may need a thinner shim to increase the clearance or a thicker one to decrease clearance. The shims come in specific sizes which happen to co-incide with the limits of the adjustment window, so you don't change anything unless it's out of spec.

Using the zip-tie method is certainly easier than using the "proper" tool, but I have had problems with that method. I will be trying it again in about a week or so, as I get my son's bike back together.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X