Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10,000 rpm, fith gear........ ..how fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10,000 rpm, fith gear........ ..how fast?

1985 gs 1150e. 10,000 rpm fith gear, how fast? my speedomoter said 118 mph the cbr 1000 honda next to me said 160 mph I dont think either one is correct. No clutch slippage stock metzler Me 33 lazer in the front and a Me 99 in the back stock gearing 15 tooth counter and 45 in the rear (I think, ill count them later but i am 99% sure its 45) what does that calculate out to for mph?

Well yours is definately modest - going home from work today I had it up to 105mph in 4th, and I still had a bit to go before I hit the redline. :twisted:

Comment

Skip I had my 1150 flat out in top gear(ona private test track of cause ) to 10,000 rpm about 12 months ago, your friends speedo is a lot closer to correct than yours. I had wound mine off the speedo at 260kmh(161mph) as I passed 9500rpm so I think it is safe to assume that you were doing approx 170mph.That fast is cool to do once , but way to nerve wracking to do again for me!!! remember I live in Australia and a Kangaroo is like a deer made out of bricks if you hit one.
      Dink

Comment

If 5,000 rpm = 75 mph, you can bet 10,000 rpm will = 150 mph. If 5000 rpm = 60 mph. 10,000 rpm will be 120.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
          If 5,000 rpm = 75 mph, you can bet 10,000 rpm will = 150 mph. If 5000 rpm = 60 mph. 10,000 rpm will be 120.
          I went through a radar box like the one on focus frenzy,s avitar. iwas at 4800rpm and i was doing 71 mph.does that mean 9600 would be 142 mph? that would make 150 at 10000? I thought I read that the 1150 did 147 at redline. I am confused. Dink ill go with your experience if you had the same gearing then it must have beem similar. do you have an steering stabilizer? i do and had it dialed up to the stiffest. the bike was floating a little but not that bad. I only had it up there for a few seconds and was not comfortible cuz im old now!

Comment

Skip yes my bike had a steering stabiliser!! ME!!!! no I have never felt the need for one on any bike I have owned.
            Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
              Skip yes my bike had a steering stabiliser!! ME!!!! no I have never felt the need for one on any bike I have owned.
              Dink
              I bought it because when I used the nitrous at the strip the bike would wobble a little at the far end of the track. It eliminated it and now if im on the highway i reach down and dial it up. It makes the bike go nice and straight ,no high speed wobble

Comment

The handling poise of my 1150 is part of the reason I still owm it instead of a new bike,after reading Earl's initial impressions of his 1150 and in particular his comment on how light and easy it is compared to his 750, makes me realise why I wondered why the Katana felt so heavy and unwieldy to steer, but I have never had a headshake bad enough to make me consider fitting a steering damper, I have always been aware of how sensitive these 1150's were to setup so I ahve always kept good quality fresh matched tyres on it which may also be part of it.
                Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                  The handling poise of my 1150 is part of the reason I still owm it instead of a new bike,after reading Earl's initial impressions of his 1150 and in particular his comment on how light and easy it is compared to his 750, makes me realise why I wondered why the Katana felt so heavy and unwieldy to steer, but I have never had a headshake bad enough to make me consider fitting a steering damper, I have always been aware of how sensitive these 1150's were to setup so I ahve always kept good quality fresh matched tyres on it which may also be part of it.
                  Dink
                  I think mine only wobbled from putting close to 200 hp through a frame that was designed for 120. It only did it with the nitrous and now I know my steering head bearings need replacing and when the bearings come in ill get right on it

Comment

Re: 10,000 rpm, fith gear........ ..how fast?

I show about 4300 in 5th at 70 mph, so 10,000 would be around 162 mph.
                    I rather doubt the bike will pull 10K in 5th though. :-) Not a real good choice of speed anyway for the roads I ride. Too many things too often jump out of the bushes. :-) whaddya call a gaggle of gators crossing the highway.....speed bumps. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by skip[
                    1985 gs 1150e. 10,000 rpm fith gear, how fast? my speedomoter said 118 mph the cbr 1000 honda next to me said 160 mph I dont think either one is correct. No clutch slippage stock metzler Me 33 lazer in the front and a Me 99 in the back stock gearing 15 tooth counter and 45 in the rear (I think, ill count them later but i am 99% sure its 45) what does that calculate out to for mph?
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

GS750es 4200RPM (give or take a few) @ 100km(62mph)

I figure on my GS750es @ 4200RPM (give or take a few) @ 100km/h(62mph), would translate to 200km/h @ 8400, maybe squeeze another 40km/h b4 redline? ...
                      Highest I've had it up so far, was last year, racing some identity crisis man driving a brand new Lexus SC400

pulled ahead of him @ about 150...
                      didn't really expect him to race so he kinda got the drop on me (fukr)

I've never really had my bike up so high in the RPMs before...
                      one time I tried seeing what I could get out of second gear, and was close to 105km/h in 2nd Gear ...

Dave
                      86GS750es

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                        I rather doubt the bike will pull 10K in 5th though. :-) Not a real good choice of speed anyway for the roads I ride. Too many things too often jump out of the bushes. :-) whaddya call a gaggle of gators crossing the highway.....speed bumps. :-)

Earl
                        Earl my 1150 is what is called an ES in the US as it is fully faired (including undercowl if I ever get around to putting it back on :roll: ) I also had the advantages of 2a.m. air on a deserted freeway and approx. 35 miles of clear road, so yes it had plenty of time to wind out and I was tucked in behind the fairing enjoying it.
                        Dink

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl

I have had mine to 10500 rpm in the 1/4mile in 5th with the 14 tooth counter shaft and it was 149.7 mph ( on nitrous) I was surprised how fast it climbed to 10000 rpm with out the nitrous and with the stock gearing. dont ever count out the power these bikes develope even in stock configuration.

Comment

Motorcyclist magazine tested the 1150 "E" for top speed in the half mile and went 147. They were comparing it to the v-max and the honda magna or saber 1100 and the i think the FJ 1100 Yamaha. the 1150 was quickest in the 1/4 second fastest on road course and 2nd quickest top speed and won the overall vote. that test was the deciding factor in me buying the 1150 in 1985. plus it was almost $1000 cheaper

Comment

that's easy! 85MPH. after 3rd gear and any RPM above 6K! That's where the Speedo meter ends 8)
                              GY

Comment

Working...
                              X