Found a 520 O-ring chain in my garage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a 520 O-ring chain in my garage!

Been cleaning out my garage since selling some bikes/parts, and I came across an LM 520 Pro O-ring chain from Parts Unlimited in my garage. Is this thing total crap?

If not, what will I need to fit it to the T?

Thanks,
    /Mike

I am not sure that a 520 would work. I think everyone is running 530.

The difference is that the 520 is only 1/4" wide, the 530 is 3/8". That allows thicker, stronger sprockets.

While on the topic of chain sizes, did you know that the "5" in the 520 or 530 means that it's 5/8" from pin to pin?
    Yep, and the "6" in the 630 means that it's 6/8" (or 3/4") from pin to pin.
    The middle number, the "2" in 520 or the "3" in 530 is the width in 1/8ths of an inch, so a 520 is 2/8" (1/4") wide, a 530 is 3/8" wide.

Now all those chain numbers might make a little more sense. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I thought a 520 conversion was pretty common for the GS's?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
        I thought a 520 conversion was pretty common for the GS's?
        I am under the impression that it's the 530, but what do I know? My last chain-drive bike was back in 1979. \\/

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, A lot of the original chains were 630. This is generally less available now for most bikes. It's heavier and therefore limits acceleration

People generally switch to 530.

My ninja 250 runs 520.
          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I think our little GS300L runs a 520 O-Ring .. if you have no use for it, pm me.

Comment

Kinda funny.. I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago.. Then remembered I had ordered chain and sprockets about 2 years ago, and then realized I had ordered 530 sprockets and 520 chain. At the time I ordered the correct chain for the sprockets, and was debating selling the chain on ebay.

I think now though, that I'm going to order up some 520 sprockets to put the chain to use on the 650. Don't have the money to buy new chain and sprockets (which I'm due for), so I'm figuring the sprockets to match this chain should hold me over for now. Plan on keeping a fairly close eye, but then also realize that modern bikes put out a lot more power than this old beast, and if modern 250's are running around with it it shouldn't hurt too much on my bike.

*steps back and waits for the experts to say why this is a bad idea*

Amos

Comment

Now I will agree with Steve in saying that MOST of the ppls round these here parts swap to 530. 520 is generally used on even more modern bikes. It MAY be possible to do a 520 swap on these, but im not sure. I think that you would definately need some spacers to avoid clearance issues. With is being even more narrow than a 530, and some of these bikes needed a spacer for a 530 conversion, i think you are bound to run into rubbing issues with a 520. Never tried it, so i may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Now I will agree with Steve in saying that MOST of the ppls round these here parts swap to 530. 520 is generally used on even more modern bikes. It MAY be possible to do a 520 swap on these, but im not sure. I think that you would definately need some spacers to avoid clearance issues. With is being even more narrow than a 530, and some of these bikes needed a spacer for a 530 conversion, i think you are bound to run into rubbing issues with a 520. Never tried it, so i may be wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but in my thinking the 530/520 shouldn't need a spacer since technically the sprocket rests against the same location with both, and since the 520 is just a bit narrorwer, just won't get as close to the cases.

However, I may be wrong in that assumption, and hope someone can come and clarify shortly, as I haven't ordered the sprockets yet.

Though, I do have some extra cash coming now (just found out about it), So, maybe I'll just order the sprockets and report back.

Amos

Comment

Well i DIDNT need the 530 spacer on the 77 750 i did a conversion on. But I have read SOME of the GS, and dont know which for sure do. Some of the sites that sell the conversion kits suggest you need a spacer as well. To be sure, mayhaps you could call Z1 and ask the guys. My kit, which i bought off a member here, had the spacer with it, but i didnt use it.

Comment

I'd be curious to know how many people have switched to 530. My guess is that most bikes that started with a 630 chain still have a 630....just my guess.
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I switched. Mike Riddle is running a 520 on his 1100E, but he bought that off Jethro with the 520 kit already installed i do believe. Letsee..i think 8Track switched to 530, Dardoonk has, andrewclaycomb has...

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                          Been cleaning out my garage since selling some bikes/parts, and I came across an LM 520 Pro O-ring chain from Parts Unlimited in my garage. Is this thing total crap?

If not, what will I need to fit it to the T?

Thanks,
                          /Mike
                          You will need a set of 520 sprockets and spacers as required to get it to fit properly.

For the worry warts who are concerned about strength, many current sport bikes get 520 conversions (my GSXR1K included) and run fine with that size. MotoGP bikes also run with 520 chain and do not break them. Your GS will be fine. A 520 may wear faster than a 530, due to the smaller roller width, but it will not be too weak.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            I switched. Mike Riddle is running a 520 on his 1100E, but he bought that off Jethro with the 520 kit already installed i do believe. Letsee..i think 8Track switched to 530, Dardoonk has, andrewclaycomb has...
                            Well, that's 5!:-D
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

That *I* know of off the top of my head. Im sure many of the restore-ers/upgraders have swapped.

Comment

Working...
                              X