• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done a 530 conversion.
    No spacers needed here either.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2008, 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I would have done one but my bike came with a new 630 chain.

Comment

The need for a spacer when doing a chain conversion is because some of the front sprockets Suzuki used have an offset flange on one side, which are not present on regular aftermarket sprockets. Chain width should not be a consideration - particularly when going from 630 to 530 since the chain is the same width.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would estimate 30%-40% or more of our customers replacing worn out 630 chain switch to 530 chain. For most bikes it's breeze. There are a few bikes (non-Suzuki) that the 530 sprockets are not available.

For most bikes, there really is no reason not to convert from 630 to 530. There are really only pros in making the switch. Only the guys doing full restorations need to stay with 630 chain.

530 chain is cheaper, lighter, better wearing, more available, and available in different colors...

Comment

Nope .. mine is a 530 .. sorry if I mistyped ...

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            I switched. Mike Riddle is running a 520 on his 1100E, but he bought that off Jethro with the 520 kit already installed i do believe. Letsee..i think 8Track switched to 530, Dardoonk has, andrewclaycomb has...

Comment

My guess was just that...and it still is. There are thousands of bikes, still running, that came with and are still using 630 chains. I would think the percentage of people who have changed to 530 would be forever impossible to come close guessing.... and it would be a samll minority.

On this website, we're different. We really care about these bikes and try to do what's best. In the 'real world', most people ride these bikes and replace parts when absolutely necessary with similar parts; they don't do anything special.:?

By the way, I've got 630 on both of my bikes...and they're great. I've also got a new one 'in the wings'.:-D
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                My guess was just that...and it still is. There are thousands of bikes, still running, that came with and are still using 630 chains. I would think the percentage of people who have changed to 530 would be forever impossible to come close guessing.... and it would be a samll minority.

On this website, we're different. We really care about these bikes and try to do what's best. In the 'real world', most people ride these bikes and replace parts when absolutely necessary with similar parts; they don't do anything special.:?

By the way, I've got 630 on both of my bikes...and they're great. I've also got a new one 'in the wings'.:-D
                Well to each his own. I think Jeff (from Z1 who posted above) would have and does have a good idea on how many people switch. I think, personally, you're wrong in your assumption that it would be a small minority. I mean, there is no reason NOT to switch. Its not hard to do, it does only good, (and by good i mean not only in the wallet, but less rotational mass=less work for the motor) and doesnt do any harm. I dont think anyone here is faulting you for choosing to use a 630.

Comment

Oh, my!

Oh, Dave!! If you think anyone from Z-1 or any other business has any idea of how many original 630 bikes are now using 530 chains, it is just, plain unlikely. How could that possibly be?

I don't care (and I'm sure you don't, either) but the world is HUGE and there are thousands of bike riders out there with 630 chains.....and, the vast, overwhelming majority of them have never heard of Z-1 Enterprises; the percentage who have, would be extraordinarily small. To try to figure out 'switchers' based upon such limited information is meaningless.

By the way, I mean absolutely NO offense...at all!:-D (and, based on our PM's, I'm sure you know that!!)
                  Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-15-2008, 12:37 AM.
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                  X