Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Installation Video

Hello friends,

I've added a little more content to my little BikeCliff website recently. I wanted to call your attention to an excellent video produced by our very own Mr. Steve (who also has a fine valve adjustment spreadsheet) that shows us how to install valves in our GS heads. He's got a very clever valve spring compressor. Check out the Valve Replacement video by Mr. Steve.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

An excellent addition to the site Cliff And an excellent tutorial by Steve. At some point, I hope to have video capability, and would like to do MANY video tutorials for our GS.

Comment

As always sir, you have outdone yourself! Just read the 16 valve adjustment guide and the task is now at the top of my list. Thanks!

Comment

Experiencing deja vu. Just did this yesterday. Thanks for video Steve and Basscliff for posting. Only a couple comments, I lubricated valve stem with assembly lube before installation. According to my service manual, the springs should be installed with tighter coils to bottom, I doubt it would matter too much one way or other.

I used a similar looking setup, a long woodwork clamp with a custom shaped pvc spring compressor very similar to Steve's. He uses a cut down 1" piece, I used a 3/4" diameter piece that I custom cut to fit the top of clamp. This prevents piece from coming off of clamp and allowing springs and keepers to go flying to far corners of garage. As far as tips on replacing keepers, I use a curved pick that goes around keeper that allows me to draw it into valve stem recess. The big tip is to use grease (assembly lube for me) to glue keeper to valve stem.

If someone wants to see my cheap valve compressor setup, I can get some pictures together.

Comment

Thank for the video excellent job

Comment

One last step at the shop after installing valves is to tap on the end of the valve at the keeper. Have seen 2 instances when it appeared the keepers were in place, cylinder head installed on a 6 cylinder diesel engine...sucked the intake valve into the cylinder. Not a pretty sight. Since, always have double checked that the keepers are seated by tapping on the ends with a hammer and a wood block. Not saying it's right to do, but seems to work for us.

Comment

nice vid.... that helps out a ton!!!

Comment

Since I have a BUNCH of pipe left over, I can make a few adapters and send them out if there is interest.

If you would like one, send me a PM or an e-mail with an address. I will have to see what my options are for packaging and shipping costs.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I wonder if that PC would be too big for a 16 valve?

Great job Steve! I always forget to film or take pics because I get too focused.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X