Wonky turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonky turn signals

I've been having a little issue with my turn signals lately, more specifically, my left one. Most of the time the left indicator and left rear signal with stay solid and the left front signal won't light up at all. But I know the bulb's not burnt out because after going certain speeds and certain RPM's, it will function normally again. I think it has a mind of its own because then it will go back to being problematic whenever it feels like it.

I took off the rear signal because it looked like it could be the problem (the front signal has never been touched). I don't think it's an OEM signal because the color is slightly off. I rewired it and made sure it was grounded tight. Still had problems. One of the nuts is a little corroded and figured that might have to do with it, but the corroded part isn't really touching the ground wire. Just in case, what would I use to clean off the corrosion? And does anyone know what's going on?

get a brass bristle brush and brush off the corrosion. i use a dremel tool with a small stainless brush to clean connections then hose the connections down with a anti-corrosion electronic protective spray like deox-5. sounds exactly like a grounding issue. alligator clip a wire to your neg batt terminal and check em all.

Comment

I cleaned some of the corrosion off. I don't know if it's a grounding problem since the rear light stays on but won't blink, but I could be wrong. Could this be fixed with a new electronic turn signal relay? You know what I mean, the ones that use a timer.

Comment

The issue is with your front left signal. If the left side doesn't blink, but one of them stays solid, look to the other to identify the problem. Given that its intermittant, I would lean to a contact problem. It could be the signal, or the wiring/connectors going to it.

I have an on again off again issue with my left side, My rear is to blame. If that's the case I often have to take the cover off and wiggle it around and it'll start blinking. Haven't been able to track down if the issue is with the contact between the bulb and the holder, or the positive wiring going to the bulb holder.

Comment

I just fiddled with the rear signal and found there was a screw loose inside. I was wondering why all my extensive rewiring was doing jack. I screwed the grounding screw back in and now it works. The plastic is broken inside so this might happen again, but at least I found the problem. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I have no idea why the rear was lighting up at all when it didn't have a ground, but good catch =]

Comment

Some things just never stay fixed. I'm thinking of just swapping out my turn signals for new ones. It looks like it's grounded properly. Could excess vibrations be causing it to ground properly since that's only when it works? This thing is really ****ing me off.

Comment

You're only paying attention to half the circuit; make sure the positive side is coming in correctly. Check that the bulb contact is good and that the wire is connecting properly. That's my best guess.

And I'll just mention it one more time. If the rear is staying lit and not blinking, and the front isn't, then the problem is probably with the front signal, not the rear.

Comment

I know I suck at electrical work, but it seems unlikely that the front is the problem when the front has never been touched, while the rear signal has had to be removed several times when I removed and reinstalled the rack. I just don't see how the circuit could be broken if the rear lights up.

Comment

When either the front or the rear don't work, the one that DOES work stays solidly lit, as does the turn signal indicator. It won't blink. I dont know why, something about the flasher.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
                      Most of the time the ... left front signal won't light up at all. But I know the bulb's not burnt out ... And does anyone know what's going on?
                      I cleaned some of the corrosion off. I don't know if it's a grounding problem since the rear light stays on but won't blink, but I could be wrong.
                      Originally posted by J_C View Post
                      The issue is with your front left signal. If the left side doesn't blink, but one of them stays solid, look to the other to identify the problem.
                      I just fiddled with the rear signal ...
                      Originally posted by J_C View Post
                      And I'll just mention it one more time. If the rear is staying lit and not blinking, and the front isn't, then the problem is probably with the front signal, not the rear.
                      I know I suck at electrical work, but ... the front has never been touched, while the rear signal has had to be removed several times when I removed and reinstalled the rack. I just don't see how the circuit could be broken if the rear lights up.
                      HINT: If the rear signal lights up ...IT'S WORKING.

BECAUSE the rear has been removed several times, the connections have been wiped of any corrosion.

BECAUSE the front has never been touched, it has had corrosion building up for 20-some years.

BECAUSE the rear signal lights, you know it has a power wire and a ground.

BECAUSE the front signal does NOT work, THERE is where your problem is.

PLEASE humor us and check the connections to the front turn signal.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was considering getting a new electronic flasher, but I asked the guy at Carquest and was told it was a grounding problem. I'm gonna check the front signal, and let you know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          HINT: If the rear signal lights up ...IT'S WORKING.

BECAUSE the rear has been removed several times, the connections have been wiped of any corrosion.

BECAUSE the front has never been touched, it has had corrosion building up for 20-some years.

BECAUSE the rear signal lights, you know it has a power wire and a ground.

BECAUSE the front signal does NOT work, THERE is where your problem is.

PLEASE humor us and check the connections to the front turn signal.

Sorry to be a pain, I'm just not too familiar with the workings of a turn signal.

Comment

If you haven't touched the front light, take it out and confirm that it doesn't have corrosion on the bulb. Vibrations do tend to make connections when a bulb is not seated correctly.

Comment

Sorry to be a pain, I'm just not too familiar with the workings of a turn signal.
                              That is why a little frustration was exhibited when ALL of the suggestions so far had indicated that it was the FRONT signal and you kept checking the REAR.

A turn signal is part of an electrical circuit. If the light comes on, that part of the circuit works. If another light is supposed to come on at the same time, and doesn't, that part is not working. Can't get much simpler than that.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X