High beam inop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High beam inop

I just switched out the headlight bulb to discover that wasn't the problem. My highbeam won't operate. Low beam is fine. Everything else works (turn signals, breaklight, taillight, etc.).

Is this almost certainly the L side switch?

Thanks in advance.

I have an 86 550es my high beam did not work when I got it. I found a bullet connector had come apart under the tank.

Scott

Comment

Thanks. I'll have a look at that since I've been taking the tank off a lot lately.

Comment

Taking the tank off a lot lately eh? I had a few features on my dash go out one day; seems me taking off and putting on the tank loosened a connector just enough that it appeared it was connected, but the contact points weren't hitting.

Ultimately you just want to grab a wiring diagram and follow the wires through from the switch to the headlight. Could be a switch, could be the connection to the head lamp, or one of the connectors in between. Should be easy to track down =]

You can test the switch by disconnecting the connector coming out of the switch and connecting positive multimeter lead to the high beam wire, and negative to ground. Should tell you if any juice is getting through or not.

Comment

It has to be the switch. I have no voltage to the high beam either, and they share a common wire from the switch.

The screws holding the switch together are 'fused' and will need to be drilled/extracted. I will live with low-beam until I have the time.

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

If anyone is interested, it turned out to be a broken wire in the center of the largest bundle of wires, in the most difficult place to reach, with the most tape and insulation wrapped around it. At least the switch was OK.

Comment

Hey thanks. we appreciate the updates. especially good ones.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
                If anyone is interested, it turned out to be a broken wire in the center of the largest bundle of wires, in the most difficult place to reach, with the most tape and insulation wrapped around it. At least the switch was OK.
                guess what.. that'll probably be where it is next time, too \\/

Comment

Working...
                X