#4 Ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#4 Ticking

Just got the carbs working right and now I have a ticking noise coming from the #4 cyl on the exhaust side.

What are thoughts on this I am thinking the valve may just be out adjustment?

It's always something. It wasn't doing this until this spring. The carbs drained about 1/2 gal of gas into the crank this winter. I have that fixed. Could this be related anyway to the ticking noise?

More than likely an exhaust gasket leaking, only other cause I can think of is a maladjusted valve. :twisted:

Comment

Re: #4 Ticking

Sounds to me like you have an exhaust valve that needs adjusting.

Earl

Originally posted by dig dug mx6
      Just got the carbs working right and now I have a ticking noise coming from the #4 cyl on the exhaust side.

What are thoughts on this I am thinking the valve may just be out adjustment?

It's always something. It wasn't doing this until this spring. The carbs drained about 1/2 gal of gas into the crank this winter. I have that fixed. Could this be related anyway to the ticking noise?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Three options that I can think of mate:

1. Exhaust gasket leaking (easy fix)
        2. Head gasket leaking (more difficult to fix) and
        3. Burned out valve (more difficult again)

I've just had a similar problem after installing a used (and unknown) engine in my GS1000ST last weekend, after checking everything, cleaning carbs and adjusting valve clearances, changing oil and filter etc, I fired it up and was rewarded by that same ticking noise. (and some misfiring)

I knew that it couldn't be valve adjustment but I hadn't replaced the old exhaust gaskets so I hoped that was the problem, but "Murphy's Law" dictated otherwise, and after a compression check with a result of less than 20 psi in that cylinder, I've just replaced the burned out exhaust valve and it's almost back together again.

This is my sixth GS1000 and the first time I've had this problem, so it's not necessarily common, but as I don't know the donor bikes history, there could be several possible causes, particularly with the confusion abounding here in Australia due to the abolition of leaded fuel in recent years.

I guess that the first test should be compression, that'll save you pulling the cam cover or the exhaust system off, then work your way from easiest to hardest from there. None of the fixes for this problem are particularly hard, just labour intensive. Mine was "cost neutral" because I have a pretty good collection of spares in my collection, and have all the tools so I can do the work myself, but I imagine that a shop would want a few hundred bucks for parts and labour, on a push in-ride out basis.

Comment

Try tightening the exhaust bolts first, as a leak can give the same impression as a valve noise.

Otherwise sounds like the valves need checking.

As for burnt out valves, the GS100s are unleaded bikes to start with, so changes to unleaded petrol here in Australia should not have made any difference unless the valves were recut and the valve hardening removed.
          I jhave a high compression motor, and find unleaded premium runs a lot better than lead replacement. LRP does not run as smoothly and seems to run dirtier (plugs, exhaust etc)

Comment

I'm an Idiot

Well first i checked the exhaust that was tight then I checked the clearances on the valves everything good there. Put it back together still the same thing.
            Look more closley while the tank was off and the engine was easy to see while running.

Loose #3 sparkplug

Always remember to check the easy stuff first.

Comment

Re: I'm an Idiot

How utterly embarrassing. I doubt you will ever live this down. Perhaps the best thing would be to leave town in the middle of the night, change your name and have plastic surgery. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by dig dug mx6
              Well first i checked the exhaust that was tight then I checked the clearances on the valves everything good there. Put it back together still the same thing.
              Look more closley while the tank was off and the engine was easy to see while running.

Loose #3 sparkplug

Always remember to check the easy stuff first.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You must now tape the sparkplug to your forehead and walk around the auto parts stores for one day So you will never forget this!!!!! :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                X