1100G fork seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100G fork seal

My fork seal is leaking. I go on vacation middle of next week for ten days. I was planning on taking the bike with me (in back of truck I'm not ready to do an Iron Butt and I may never be). I have tons of things I have to do (HAVE TO DO) before I go. I wondered if I could get it done in Pennsylvania while I'm there. I'm thinking it's three hours for me but a real mechanic could do it much faster. What do you think it would cost me? Would I be better off taking some tools and volunteering a friends garage and his help? opinions please. Is my estimate acccurate?

you can drill a small hole in the seal, take the clip out, screw a drywall screw into it and pull it out. then just pop the new one in. you'll need a 12mm and 14mm socket to take the fork out. you'll also need to take the front wheel off. i dont think three hours is accurate. maybe 6 or 7.:-D just kidding, probably closer to 1 or 1.5.

Comment

You wanna stop in oHIo on the way back and have it done here? I will also be gone over the Memorial Day weekend from Friday thru Tuesday, so if you can work around that, I can make room in the garage to do the job. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
        you can drill a small hole in the seal, take the clip out, screw a drywall screw into it and pull it out. then just pop the new one in. you'll need a 12mm and 14mm socket to take the fork out. you'll also need to take the front wheel off. i dont think three hours is accurate. maybe 6 or 7.:-D just kidding, probably closer to 1 or 1.5.
        That's the time frame I was thinking for a pro. If a shop in Pa. will do it I'm probably looking at around $100 or so then.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        You wanna stop in oHIo on the way back and have it done here? I will also be gone over the Memorial Day weekend from Friday thru Tuesday, so if you can work around that, I can make room in the garage to do the job. 8-[ Steve, thanks a lot for your generous offer. I was really trying to get a feel of cost if I had someone else do it (a shop) I'm concerned "something" will come up in the middle and I won't get it buttoned up and miss out riding in Pa.:-D If I go to a friends house and do it,once beer gets involved it may never run again!:shock:

Comment

Working...
        X