Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hot does a GS engine get? Or, will blue Loc-tite work for intake studs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hot does a GS engine get? Or, will blue Loc-tite work for intake studs?

So, I'm using studs instead of bolts due to my bike's GSX-R 600 throttle bodies. I'd like to find a threadlocker that's not as permanent as red Loc-tite. Blue Loc-tite would work if the engine will stay cool enough---they say blue Loc-tite is good till around 300 F---but I don't know how hot a GS engine gets.

Another options is just using anti-seize and being careful when removing the nuts.

Anyone know how hot a GS engine can get? Anyone used threadlocker on any of their bike's bolts/studs and have any advice?

Where on the bike are you using it? I've used blue loctite on GS engines. It'll be fine.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm using studs for the intake boots. Blue should be fine? How hot does a GS engine get?

Comment

Originally posted by jtolbert View Post
        I'm using studs for the intake boots. Blue should be fine? How hot does a GS engine get?
        I don't have a temp guage but it should be between 210F to 300F.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Has anyone ever considered chasing threads with a Spiralock tap instead of using Loctite? I first heard about these a couple years ago, but now I'm seeing it turn up on drawings of tier 1 automotive steering components. It seems like a stronger, permanent, non-gunky, temperature insensitive way to keep things tight.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The intake boots are rubber which dampens any vibration. I've never needed to use any kind of thread locker on them. I use anti seize as I want to be able to remove them without difficulty.

Earl

Originally posted by jtolbert View Post
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              The intake boots are rubber which dampens any vibration. I've never needed to use any kind of thread locker on them. I use anti seize as I want to be able to remove them without difficulty.

Earl
              Yes, this. Me too.

Although I'm using bolts instead of studs on these, I've never had one come loose.

If you just want a way to keep the studs in, blue Loctite will work fine.

Viton o-rings rated for 400 degrees F work just fine on intakes, but Buna-n o-rings rated for 200 degrees quickly crumble. So it's somewhere in that range.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X