No announcement yet.

Rusty Tank - What to seal/coat with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cheaper phosphoric acid product is available at Tractor Supply Co. http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

This is a link to the product that I used. It is called Milkstone Remover and works well for cleaning out a rusty tank. I used it, diluted with water of course, to clean out a tank that had been sitting for almost 20 years. It took a few applications, but I was able to get it very clean. Once that was done, I immediately dried the inside of the tank, by blowing air in it with a compressor, but other posts have said a hair dryer works well too.

I sealed my tank with POR-15 cycle tank repair kit. It comes with another cleaner, that you need to run through the tank, then a metal etcher. Once completed, you coat the tank with the POR-15 product and wait for it to do its magic. My tank looks great inside now and I haven't had any issues associated with the inferior urethane tank coatings. As others have said, taking time on the prep steps, will provide you with the best results.

Hope this helps!

One Last thing! Hope this helps someone on the board. I received the following email for 10% off of POR-15 products for the month of may. If anyone was looking to buy anything from them, Just use the promo code and save a little money.

Buy any POR-15 product in May and take 10% off your bill; that’s right, you heard me - 10%…and you can even place additional orders – as many as you like – as long as you do it by May 31st. Along with your order you’ll get our new 2008 56-page catalog which we hope’ll tempt you even more!

Call us toll-free (877-860-9956) and mention promotion code PCAA508 when you call or enter it on our on-line checkout page at por15.com. Remember, we’re always there for you toll-free for questions or to buy our great stuff. Give us a call today!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2008, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nert View Post
      TSP is what you want to use.
      I thought that I was supposed to use sodium carbonate (washing soda) from the original post from the 650 site?

Follow up photos please..
      Of course. I am going to document the whole process just in case that it works.

Originally posted by cgerbick View Post
      I cheaper phosphoric acid product is available at Tractor Supply Co. This is a link to the product that I used. It is called Milkstone Remover and works well for cleaning out a rusty tank.
      Awesome. Mills Fleet Farm was my next stop but this stuff looks like it would work great. Thanks.

Comment

Washing soda is what you want if you do electrolysis.

I used phosphoric acid available in the paint department at Home Depot. It's used for etching concrete. Later I bought a POR-15 kit and redid the tank. The POR-15 worked great.

Comment

One of my 650 tanks looked about that bad. I went the por 15 route. What helped me was using diluted muriatic (hydrochloric acid) first followed by the por 15 products. The muriatic will react faster than phosporic on real heavy deposits. Phosphoric should be used after to prep metal for sealant. I used bolts and nuts placed on a chain to physically scrape some of the crud out. Others use gravel which I wondered how they remove later. I suppose it you stick to limestone, the acid would burn it out.

BTW, the por 15 worked well, the surface isn't quite smooth but it isn't rusty. Just watch for spills, the stuff pretty much is forever.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
            One of my 650 tanks looked about that bad. I went the por 15 route. What helped me was using diluted muriatic (hydrochloric acid) first followed by the por 15 products. The muriatic will react faster than phosporic on real heavy deposits. Phosphoric should be used after to prep metal for sealant. I used bolts and nuts placed on a chain to physically scrape some of the crud out. Others use gravel which I wondered how they remove later. I suppose it you stick to limestone, the acid would burn it out.

BTW, the por 15 worked well, the surface isn't quite smooth but it isn't rusty. Just watch for spills, the stuff pretty much is forever.
            I did it the same way 50/50 mix water and muratic from a pool store kicks butt and followed up with a full por 15 treatment with complete success. Dan

Comment

I had heard washing soda was more difficult to find. The papers i received, (another forum) said TSP was good to use. I had that at the house, so i used it. The results where so good with the TSP tank cleaning, i didn't want to recommend something i didn't try.

Comment

I had heard washing soda was more difficult to find. The papers i received, (another forum) said TSP was good to use. I had that at the house, so i used it. The results where so good with the TSP tank cleaning, i didn't want to recommend something i didn't try.
                Good info. Washing soda is available in the detergent aisle at most grocery stores. Arm and Hammer is the brand I found.

Comment

Working...
                X