Need source for intake boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need source for intake boots

Hello, back again with more questions about my 82' 450gs ... the bike sat for 2 years before I bought it, and with the GSR's help, I'm trying to get it up and running smooth. I have been advised to get new intake boots and o-rings (as my idle has a mind of it's own), I have ordered new o-rings ... but cant find intake boots anywhere. I looked on bikebandit.com, and they either make it extremely difficult to find COMPLETE assembly kits, or they don't sell them ... can someone help me find a set, cheap please :-D

Direct links are much appreciated!!!

- dubs

Originally posted by bdub416 View Post
    Hello, back again with more questions about my 82' 450gs ... the bike sat for 2 years before I bought it, and with the GSR's help, I'm trying to get it up and running smooth. I have been advised to get new intake boots and o-rings (as my idle has a mind of it's own), I have ordered new o-rings ... but cant find intake boots anywhere. I looked on bikebandit.com, and they either make it extremely difficult to find COMPLETE assembly kits, or they don't sell them ... can someone help me find a set, cheap please :-D

Direct links are much appreciated!!!

- dubs
    I always get confused on this one, are you talking about the ones that attach the carbs to the head, or the ones on the airbox side?

Comment

Sorry, carbs to head

Comment

28 through 31. This schematic is from abbitts but all should be the same.

Comment

So in order for me to replace my two intake boots, it's going to cost me over $50? There are no cheaper options?

Comment

So in order for me to replace my two intake boots, it's going to cost me over $50? There are no cheaper options?
            Probably not. I was in a hurry and bought my 4 from the local dealer to get them shiiped faster (had them in 3 days). I paid $27 each plus another couple bucks each fro the o-rings. Probably cost $130.00 to do a 4 cylinder bike. If I bought them online would have probably cost me $110.00.

Comment

I understand the many philosophies on here. I'm trying to restore to a very nice/sharp bike that I can take off on a 500 mile trip and not think twice about it, so I've spent a LOT of money (about $2000.00 in 4 months) on parts and tools. I also appreciate some folks just want a decent running bike for as low cost as possible. That being said, if they're bad, they're bad and nothing short of coughing up the 50 bucks is gonna really fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                I'm trying to restore to a very nice/sharp bike that I can take off on a 500 mile trip and not think twice about it, ...
                Sort of my philosophy, too, except that 500 miles is just a warm-up. \\/

In our house, we usually do 500 or more miles a week, unless we are out on a big ride, then it's more. Next weekend (Memorial Day) we will be on a 1200-mile trip just over the weekend. I don't want to have to worry about any part of the bike, so quality replacements are always in order. 8-[

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I guess I was just hoping that since they are relatively small in size ... the price would follow-suit ...

Thanks SO much for the help, appreciate the quick turnaround. I am sure this is just one of the many problems with the bike ... hopefully we'll get her running soon!

~ dubs
                  [-o<-ing

Comment

I guess I was just hoping that since they are relatively small in size ... the price would follow-suit ...

Thanks SO much for the help, appreciate the quick turnaround. I am sure this is just one of the many problems with the bike ... hopefully we'll get her running soon!

~ dubs
                    [-o<-ing
                    They are small, but they are a combo of metal and rubber melded together, there is no aftermarket, so OEM is the only choice. as a general rule OEM spells EXPENSIVE. You'll see a lot of threads about the DYNA S ignition on here (cost about $130.00), why... well, you can replace points with it, always a good choice if you have points, but also, it replaces the "igniter" on these bikes. A small little electronic component in the ignition system that will set you back between $300 and $400. They have you over a barrel with the OEM stuff. They have, you need it, and for many parts they (Suzuki) is the only game in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Sort of my philosophy, too, except that 500 miles is just a warm-up. \\/

In our house, we usually do 500 or more miles a week, unless we are out on a big ride, then it's more. Next weekend (Memorial Day) we will be on a 1200-mile trip just over the weekend. I don't want to have to worry about any part of the bike, so quality replacements are always in order. 8-[

Plan for mine (weather permitting) is an every day rider on my 70 mile a day commute. I've done it half a dozen times, but weather and repairs held me back a bit so far. I also want to be able to say, I'm going to Atlanta this weekend (about 300 miles), clean the plugs, check the oil and the tire pressure, and go.

Comment

Try Flatoutmotorcycles.com and other online Suzuki OEM parts sources.
                        If you cannot get it online or used on this site or thru a parts bike, then
                        unfortunately you're going to have to break down and pay the dealer this
                        high cost to get your bike up and running.

It is called "opportunity costs" which every day you balk and wait at paying the dealer costs for this small part, which you probaly can't get anywhere unless one is available on this GSR website (or thru a local
                        parts bike), it takes away your enjoyment of riding and cherishing the
                        full potential of your investment. Looking at it at this angle makes perfect sense. Your only getting older day-by-day, and hopefully wiser !~!~

$130 is very cheap if that is what separates you from a running bike.
                        Go out an enjoy your bike this summer. Don't waste another day and
                        just pay it. You'll than yourself in the end !!

Comment

I've got the same deal, ordered the parts from flatout this afternoon actually. I also got the hex-head bolts from cycleorings.com and o rings there too, since the philips heads were such a pain.

It's been eye-opening to see what the prices on these parts are. I've probably spend close to $300 for parts and tools just for valve adjustments, carb cleaning, and fork boots. But when I think about what the repair bill would be at a dealer, I can remind myself I've probably actually saved about $900.

Comment

It adds up quick for sure. I'm at $3000.00 ($1000.00 for the bike and $2000.00 spent on it), and I'm about to order a $300.00 V&H pipe for it.

Comment

Try Rob at Z1, they can get parts as cheap as anyone for OEM.

Comment

Working...
                              X