• Show
Clear All

Which relay do I need?

I am going to do the relay mod
    I have the diagram
    I know what to do about the fuse box
    I have a 81 550t

The question
    What Relay do I need to buy I am gunna get it today?
    I know I can get it a Napa I just dont know which one.

I did search. maybe I just suck at it#-o

any advice is helpful.

Thank you
    Jake

The method I used depended on having somebody who wasn't a complete idiot behind the parts counter. I just walked in and said "I need a relay, maybe a horn relay, 4 pins, 86, 87, etc..." he went to back and came back with one for $12.99. Somebody may have an actual part number for you. The larger point is it matters not one bit as long as it's the right kind of relay.

Comment

I dont know if I have even used a relay before how do I hook it up to my wire?

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
        I dont know if I have even used a relay before how do I hook it up to my wire?
        Complete "how to" on BassCliff's site. You take what WAS the power to your coils (orange wires with white stripe) and make it the on/off for the relay. You run a fused hot straight from the battery (or the solenoid, that's where mine comes from) to the relay, this is now the power. When the orange and white go hot (probably at a dropped voltage from going through the kill switch and the harness) the relay flips and the hot straight from the battery (which probably close to a full 12.5 volts) fires the coils. Look at the how to. The connection to the relay is made with a female spade connector on the wires as the relay has males.

Comment

ask for a 20amp automotive relay, if he asks, normally open, 4 pin.

Comment

If you want cheap relays that last forever, go to a wrecking yard and pull them from Volvos or BMWs, relays made by Hella or Bosch, very high quality. I have been using these for twenty years on projects like these, yet to have one fail.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

alright I found the relay right up it took me a bit tho. thank you guys for the help I much appreciate it. I will let you know if when it's done.

Comment

here is a question.. would solid state relays work you think?

Comment

Working...
                X