Steering Stem Bearing and Race Removal Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Stem Bearing and Race Removal Inquiry

I am trying to replace the bearing and race on my 83 GS1100ESD but can't seem to get the bearing race out of the neck of the frame. Is there a trick to remove them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Kich

drive them out from opposite side with a brass drift...if you can catch the lip...if not run a bead of weld on the race and they practically fall out when cool. just a crappy little 110v welder works fine.
    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel to cut a line as far as I could through the race without getting into the steering neck. After that it came out very easy. I believe I found that tip on here somewhere while searching for some other information about the bearings. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Comment

You might have seen that in my post. I had to cut two grooves to actually remove a small section of the race before it came out. I tried to remove the race without cutting into the frame itself, but it's pretty darn hard to avoid. As long as you don't go too deep, I don't think it will hurt much. Also, by cutting out two grooves for the notch, that section of the race is considerably weaker and will chisel out easier than if there is just one groove.

Here is the notch:

Here is why the bearings were changed: :shock:
        8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Related Link

If you are feelin g adventurous, you coudl try and build one of those fingered extraction tools. Some 1" electrical conduit from Home Depot would do it (I think). If you have a welder that works, I used the bent bolt.

Posplayr

Comment

I used a dremel with a carbide cutting attachment. I was also VERY careful not to cut through to the stem. I still nicked it barely, but oh well. Then I drove it out using a punch.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2008, 04:10 PM. Reason: Memory is shot

Comment

Working...
            X