Oil cooler info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler info.

What other bikes oil coolers will work on a '08 GS1100L? I have researched the forums and found that I need to get a GS1150 oil cover, but not much about what size or type of oil cooler fits 1100. I assume ~the same size engine, such as a GSXR 1000, would work?? And how much should a fells give for one of these??

DANG! they restarted making GS1100s this year?! awesome!:-D

but seriously, i have no idea. sorry.

Comment

Here is the deal. You can install an oil cooler on your bike simply by getting an 84-86 Suzuki GS1150 black stock oil filter cover. These go
      for only $27 at any online OEM Suzuki parts reseller. Do not buy one
      used on this website - it is already very cheap brand new !!

What is different about this oil cover versus your existing oil cover is
      it diverts a large percentage of the oil to the oil galleys where your
      new connection to the oil coolers lines will be located. A small percentage will backflow and bypass the cooler and travel through the filter. The theory is in case the oil filter is clogged and blocked (highly unlikely),
      some oil will still flow thru the filter.

Even better yet is to purchase an entire GS1150 oil cooler assembly
      complete with the bracket, lines, banjo fittings, and the black oil filter cover. This way it will be a "plug and play", depending on your frame
      and existing mounting holes.

If you want to spend money and resort to purchasing an aftermarket
      oil cooler such as a Lockhart, you will have to use your inginuity for
      the line lengths, banjo fittings, custom bracket, new drilled and tapped mounting holes, and everything else for a clean installation and application. But why screw with this when you can have a factory Suzuki OEM black oil cooler that fits right in, and is 95% a plug and play and looks awesome with 100% Suzuki parts that is more of a factory option than an aftermarket upgrade ??? The 5% is the mounting, and you can figure this out very easily by either installing a sub-bracket or drillling
      and tapping new mounting holes again depending on your application.

How I know that this is not a true 100% plug and play appplication is because I did the same oil cooler modification on my Suzuki 83 GS1100esd. I had a spare GS1150 oil cooler from my other bike (85 GS1150ef). It has the lines and the banjo fittings intact - all I needed
      was another 1150 oil filter cover. I have yet to fabricate a sub mounting bracket, but it is on there solid with one end screwed to the stock mounting hole on the frame, and the other side held on with a strong black tie wrap wrapped to the frame. Believe or not, it looks very clean !! I was preparing my bike for the Goldrush run 2 weeks ago, and making a sub-bracket I did not have time for.

I can tell you by experience being on this bike now compared before
      the oil cooler installaion that it does run cooler. I do not have an oil
      temp guage as of yet to mnonitor for camparison, but I can feel it is
      much cooler. One knows his own bike when traveling all over.

Anyways, good luck to you on your endeavors. I'm spending way too much on helping others on this website which is more of an obsession
      than a habit. I cannot be on it anymore after today. These long-ass
      comments are taking up my time with 30-45 minutes here and there
      on each reply, and next thing you know, the sun is already setting.

Good luck again,

KT
      San Jose, CA :-D\\/

from the

Comment

wow. great tip, thanks jadesystem!

Comment

Working...
        X