Question about bike shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about bike shut down

On my way home today, my bike shut down on me and would not start back up. The only thing that happens when I push the start button is the starter solenoid clicks.
    Am I right in assuming that the bike is not charging properly?
    If I put it on a charger and get it started, should it stay running if I disconnect the battery?
    My bike is an 81' gs750L

It sounds like you have a charging problem, or a dead battery

Go to the Stator Papers to troubleshoot

Whatever you do, DO NOT disconnect the battery while the bike is running. That will fry all sorts of things
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Well, I put my bike on a charge (Jump start @ 65 amp) and let it set for a little while.
      Got it to start and let it idle for about 5 min or maybe a little longer.........
      and then it just shut off and wouldn't start back up.
      I happened to notice that my battery tender was set at 6 volt instead of 12 volt, maybe it didn't have a good charge?
      But I think the bike is still not charging to full capacity. Once it is running, shouldn't it keep itself charged? And will the heat ( It is pushing 100 degrees) affect it any?

Comment

Heat shouldn't be a problem.

Charge the battery fully & get it running then go through the STATOR PAPERS.

You'll need a digital meter.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Splittie View Post
          Well, I put my bike on a charge (Jump start @ 65 amp) and let it set for a little while.
          ?
          Don't do that again, the 65 amp setting can destroy your regulator/rectifier. If the voltage when the bike is reved to 5000 rpm or so is at or above 16 volts and/or your battery bubbles heavily when the bike is running, that would mean you broke the R/R.

Use the 2 amp setting, or MAYBE the 10 amp

Originally posted by Splittie View Post
          Got it to start and let it idle for about 5 min or maybe a little longer.........
          and then it just shut off and wouldn't start back up.
          I happened to notice that my battery tender was set at 6 volt instead of 12 volt, maybe it didn't have a good charge?
          But I think the bike is still not charging to full capacity. Once it is running, shouldn't it keep itself charged? And will the heat ( It is pushing 100 degrees) affect it any?

Comment

Working...
          X