squeaky front brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

squeaky front brakes

my 83 750e, has a squeak coming from the front brakes at times? it is very annoying. pads are good and discs. any ideas?

You could try some of that brake sueal compund on the back of the pads. Otherwise it may be a pad/disc combination problem

Comment

Good day,I have the same problem on occassion but I clean the discs and all is well. The net accumulation of brake dust and dirt in the drilled disc can cause this to happen. Bath time.

Comment

I have had another problem which causes the brakes to squeal (not the high pitched squeal but a lower tone) caused by wearing the brake disc enough to form a sharp edge that rubs on the side or edge of the brake pad making them vibrate.

One of the tell tale signs I have seen that this is a problem is that when you push the bike backwards the disc will moan.

I had this problem on a V-65 Sabre and on a GS750L. With the Sabre the disc was so bad I had to replace it with an after market disc and with the Suzuki it was only starting and not very deep so I took it to a machine shop and had the ridge taken down level with the rest of the disc.

Both of these bikes had the problem when I got them so I don't know if this is the result of normal wear or if it is the result of not maintaining the brake and letting them get down to a metal to metal contact and resulting wear.

Comment

When this happens to me I pull the front caliper and sand the brake pads a little. Then I wash everything off with brake cleaner.

Steve

Comment

Steve's last comment will help to avoid a LOT of problems.

Use the spray brake cleaner frequently.

This it the easiest way to keep the pads and disk clean, and it really does prevent a lot of unnecessary problems.

(Keep something absorbent under the tire...it makes a mess)
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

When you try these different fixes you may find that it still squeals as mine did (like a pig under a gate). GM makes a compound to stop squealing brake pads, and it doesn't work well either.

The squeal is caused by fibration in the pad. The fast and cheap fixed I use is a coating of duct tape on the back side of the pads. Take the pads off, stick the duct tape on the back, trim the excess with an Exacto knife, and reinstall them. No more squeal!

Comment

Working...
              X